Bulk film in loader. Possibility to identify?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tossik, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tossik

tossik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone, I got two bulk loaders and there's is film in them. My questions are:

any chance to identify what film I got there? My best bet that both are tri-X 400 film but i'm not sure..

What iso can I set? What if it's 100 and I set 400? Or the other way around.

Any info would be great. :smile:

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take 2 sort lengths and process them, most films have pre-exposed edge markings.

Ian

3. tossik

tossik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok great. Will do that today.

4. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With the different dev times/chemicals, it should be OK enough to see the markings?

5. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a similar problem a while back, was given a stack of home-reloaded cassettes, all the same film but no labels! Try developing a few inches of the film in your usual developer at time/temperature for Tri-X.....all you need is to be able read the pre-exposed markings, doesn't matter if it proves to be another film, the developing should be near enough for the purpose.

6. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I thought so. Just wanted to ask! Thanks.

Yeah, I have a few loaders I got off ebay and one from a friend (who I think labeled it wrong) so I want to test it.

7. tossik

tossik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Heh well I'm glad I'm
    not alone :smile:

8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last time I had something like that, I simply pulled a few inches from the loader in the dark and tossed the strip into a tray of Dektol for a few minutes. Stop and fix followed. Good enough to get the job done.

9. GJA

GJA Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If it does not have edge markings, come back to this thread and describe both a developed and undeveloped piece of this film. Ive seen a fair number of films without markings and we may be able to help you out.

10. tossik

tossik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all, well I developed a test roll in my old chemicals and the film came out foggy clear, and
    I can barelly see one exposure out of 5.

I can barelly see some markings so need help to identify the film.

I see an arrow to the right then a 40 in black box then arrow and 40A then arrow 41 then arrow 41A with an E on top of 41. Then it has little 0 2 7 right after the 41A

oh looking hard right now I can read on the other side what seems like kodak safety film 5063?

That's all I have. Plz help :smile:

11. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is fogged after proper fixing with fix you know to be good, I would toss it in the trash barrel. Heat etc. can fog film over time. Only you know if it's worth buying anti-fog chemistry and fooling around. It might be educational, but that's about it. Film is relatively inexpensive - I've been poor, but not so bad that I couldn't affortd to buy a roll or 100' feet for a bulk loader. By the way, I always thought the Watson was the bes - it turned so the film did not touch anything as it was loaded. Used tost $9.95 new. I have a couple I never use, full of old Tri-X.

13. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    5063 means it's likely Tri-X, and because of the fog it's likely very old Tri-X.

14. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    5063 is old tri-x and if it is foggy it probaly is not worth loading into the camera - might be handy for tests (eg is the flash working) where you just want an image and will not be making further use of it.

15. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clip test