Bulk-loading - which tape to attach film to canister spool?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by rduraoc, Jul 26, 2005.

1. rduraoc

rduraoc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I load 35mm bulk film for a while now, but I still haven´t found a way to firmly secure the film to the cassette's spool. When I'm using my manual Zenit, I have no problem, but when I'm using a camera with auto-advance, the film gets detached from the spool, and I can´t rewind it. I normally use double sided tape to hold the film, but it has shown to be a mediocre solution. Are there any other ideas?

2. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A simple piece of adhesive tape, rolled around the spool so that it holds the film from both sides.

3. rduraoc

rduraoc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've tried that, but the tape didn´t hold the film. Maybe I just have to get a tape with a stronger glue. I'll try that again. Thanks.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Masking tape rolled round the spools central core, so that it sticks to the film on both sides.

5. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do this. I have never experienced it falling off. Neither in my Canon EOS nor in my manual film transport cameras.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's what I do, and I've never had a problem.

7. rduraoc

rduraoc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess it's consensual. I've only tried it once, but i'll surely try it again, if it works for all of you, i'll have to make it work for me. Thanks for the input.

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Masking tape.

9. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear rduraoc,

I use Scotch brand "Magic Tape". It almost holds too well. Never a problem.

Neal Wydra

10. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    we also adhere the tape to the core and up the side of the film. So the tape is placed on both sides of the film and the core as well.
    Hope that makes sense.

11. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't use 1/2 inch masking tape, 1 inch will give you twice the amount of grip.

12. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To be more practical: http://www.tesa.com

Tesa Perfect extra power tape: 2,75mX19mm p/n 56341-00019
    This tape will work without any problem and mostly you can get it in several hobby shops.

It works on my EOS (auto rewind), manual rewind cameras, no problem.

Best regards,

Robert

13. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used two methods:

• With conventional bulk-load spools, I've used about 3/4-inch masking tape ("Manco" brand), cut from a 1 1/2-inch wide roll, run around the spool and attached to both sides of the film, as others have described.
    • I've also used "pre-owned" film cassettes, acquired from my local 1-hour photo lab. These have a fraction of an inch of color film sticking out of the cartridge. I align my bulk B&W film with that stub of color film and wrap some transparent tape ("Osco" brand) around both so they're held together. I've done the same thing with a few rolls of non-bulk B&W film I've processed myself.

I'm still pretty new to bulk loading, so I don't think I've actually used more than half a dozen or so rolls of either type, but I have yet to run into a problem. This includes using the film with a Ricoh XR-X 3PF with motorized advance, although most of my cameras are manual-wind.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tach

Tach Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use the preowned cassete method, and have never had a problem, even with a MD-4 motordrive.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ditto

even worked with an F5 motordrive

17. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer masking tape to transparent tape, because it seems easier to manipulate back off the film when I'm unloading without tearing the film (maybe I should just cut the film off beyond the tape, but I don't).

However if you do use masking tape, be sure to use fresh. Old masking tape loses its strength over time, particularly at the edges. (When using masking tape for painting, always use very fresh tape or your masked edges will come out ragged.)

18. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Masking tape is great, if you use a changing bag you can use black crepe tape, it doesn;t leave as gooey a mess.

19. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Something I've been meaning to solicit opinions about for a while now;

One of my favourite cameras is a Konica Auto S2 fixed-lens rangefinder from the late '60's. It's a great camera, however, one of the few annoyances with it is its very strong film-advance "pull" - if I get to the end of the roll with a commercial roll of film, it's OK - I stop once I feel some tension. However, with bulk-loaded roll, if I get to the end, I'll frequently pull it right off the spool and not be able to feel any tension.

To date I've just been using 3M "photo tape" to tape the film to the bulk-loaded canister's spool - no particular reason, except its advertised on the package as not harmful to photographs, so I figured by extension it should be alright for film as well (not particularly great logic, I know).

I don't have an issue with this tape on bulk rolls I've used in my other cameras, but as I reach for the Auto S2 more and more I'd like to be able to not have to extract a roll in a changing bag :smile:

So, what tape are others using for this, particularly if you need something stickier/tougher?

20. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use anything that sticks. Masking tape usually, but I have used black pvc electrician's tape on occasion.

21. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the accepted thing is masking tape.

22. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aye, I use masking tape. Originally I used PVC electrical tape, but came to the conclusion it was unnecessary and expensive - normal masking tape works fine for me & causes no problems with my Canon's autowind. The electrical tape is almost certainly stronger though, so you might want to try it.

23. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Blue Max Film Spicing tape

I can't remember who makes it. It sitcks to itself like mad, to film very well. It is water and developer/fixer resistant too. I use a small piece to join two 120 films together tail to lead when I want to process them at the same time on a paterson plastic film reel.

I used to use masking tape, but finally spent $20, on the roll, which will last me a very long time. It is the same tape used to join film together in leader card type film processors. I know it can be had for less online, but my favourite local camera store had it on the shelf, and after some near misses in having film pull off the reel with masking tape I am now using Blue Max.

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mabman,

Do you make a loop and thus stick the tape onto both sides of the film?

Besides that the tape-issue is an issue to me too but rather in the sense of influences on film.
    I would rather hesitate to use a tape which contains sulfur in the glue and PVC tapes.
    PE or PET tapes with acrylic glue should be fine. But the residues could be hard to get off the spool.
    Am still looking for my optimum tape..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  25. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use masking tape. It's cheap, it works & it's easy to get hold of.

26. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    #3M Masking Tape #233+

Agreed: good masking tape works well.
    Agreed: loop method very secure.

Rather than a made-in China cheesy brand, I buy 3M tape 222+, part number 26334. This is available [I suspect] only from industrial suppliers and is, I believe, intended for auto paint-shop use. No gummy residue, even after years. Adhesive is very strong, as is the tape itself. This is the Leica of masking tapes. About $5 per roll, 18mm x 55m. Made in Canada. It is green, nearly lime-green. Also available in 2" width.

It is quite waterproof; will survive a number of trips through the dishwasher [food container labels, with Sharpie].