Bulky toy "Professional" camera - NK3030

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by Akki14, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This will really add fuel to the fire on what is a toy camera.
    I bought this off of ebay for £8 (including the shipping)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] That's what it looks like compared to a holga.
    It's a 35mm film camera. it has an automatic motordrive, a sizeable detachable flash (for certain definitions of "detachable" as it does have a springy hotshoe lead but it's not very long nor detachable from the main flash unit to replace with a longer lead)
    Waist level view finder like a TLR
    [​IMG]
    It has fixed shutter speed and fixed focus, happily touted as Focus Free. It has apertures (square ones!) ranging from 16-6.3. I'm not totally sure these work now that I look closer at them, especially the one stop down from f16 doesn't seem to cover up the camera base aperture much at all.
    It has motorised rewind but no stop or lock on the back like I've previously experienced on motorised point and shoot cameras. This caused me to fog a large chunk of the beginning of the film because I thought I heard the leader flicking away inside the film cassette when it wasn't (arugh).

If anything it was worth it for the flash. Now we have a suitably cheap flash to go with our two Holgas. It has a pull out diffuser cover and can be tilted up and down and moved left or right (strange).
    The pictures from the first roll of film seem pretty good. No worse than a normal point and shoot and maybe a touch better but I'd not go with that orange price sticker price of £199.99. Maybe I found it in the toys section of ebay as a case of sour grapes? :D

I wish I could find more information on it. I haven't even found anything helpful like a Made In ____ sticker. When I google I only get people misspelling "Nokia" or even more ebay auctions for these cameras. It would be nice if anyone had any knowledge on this beast. Will try to get some photos printed tonight from the camera too.

2. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meniscus lens? Glass or plastic?

3. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Your guess is as good as mine. Doesn't say anywhere on the packaging. i'd have to break the whole thing apart to find out if it was glass or plastic.

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Metz flash on my Holga.
    Would a one time use camera be considered a toy?

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm glad to see it comes with an optical lens!!! Gotta love it!

6. glennfromwy

glennfromwy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a variety of these. List price 199.00, they often sell for less tan a dollar. Meniscus lens behind a piece of glass. A friend of mine thought he really got a deal when he paid 40.00 for one of these things. He was so proud of it, he couldn't wait to call me to come over and look at his "treasure". I took one look at it, laughed like hell and asked him: "You didn't actually pay money for this thing, did you"? Well, that made him mad, but not as mad as when I showd him one on $bay for 3.00. Never saw that thing again.

7. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It has the "tlr" viewfinder, but I'm curious, is the "rf" viewer functional as well?

8. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not only is it an optical lens, it's a COLOR optical lens :D
    yeah the corner viewfinder works too. The manual touts the waist-level viewfinder for those users who wear glasses. Funny, I wear glasses and I don't seem to have problems with viewfinders...

The front seems to be plastic, not glass so it's more like plastic covering plastic :smile: I missed out a photo of the lens cap which helpfully says CAMERA on the front, in case you weren't sure what it was.

9. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, that ergonomic grip design would at least be worth, say, two bucks to me! In comparison to, say, the Holga, which I find hard to handhold, being a nimble 1.80m woman. And a color optical lens, what more can anyone want?

Does the flash actually work?

Antje

10. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh yeah, the flash works fine. Has a little test button on its hotshoe attachment and everything. It's more adjustable than the flashes I have for my Nikon FG and Zenit EM. Head tilts up and side to side easily and it screws onto the Holga 120N tripod mount fine and since it's a very simple hotshoe attachment, the Holga doesn't have problems with it either. The flash head has a diffuser that pulls out to diffuse even more and it has a chart on it for film speed, aperture and distance in ft/m. I didn't notice any over exposed/washed out photos in my first roll of film out of it but I'm pretty wary of keeping at least 3ft away from anything when I'm working with a flash. Very nice recycle time of 10seconds too!

I'm beginning to think these things are quite neat, although not quite their sometimes asking price of 30GBP/$60. I don't think we did too badly paying 8GBP for it considering holgas cost 19GBP usually here.

I also like that it takes 4 AA batteries (two for the motordrive camera and two for the flash) as my much more modern point and shoot 35mm camera uses an annoyingly expensive lithium battery.

11. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are a lot of this type of "el cheapo" camera around and they are usually sold under names which are intended to confuse people - usually names similar to Canon, Olympus (called Olympia) & Nikon eg yours. They were aimed at the gullible and the uninformed who thought they were getting a professional camera, thats why you get a "professional" handle mount flash
    gun & the camera is designed to look vaguely like a 35mm SLR. I read somewhere that in order to make them feel heavier there is a piece of stone or brick hidden somewhere in the camera!

I also recollect that when these fiirst appeared some years ago when 35mm was still king, Canon etc were quite concerned and tried to take action against the manufacturers.

Today they are obviously good fun to play with if you can get them cheap but sadly there are still people attempting to flog them on ebay as "professional" cameras at outrageous prices. Fortunately not many people fall for it but I feel sorry for those who do.

12. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Color lens!

I hope it's a colorless color lens! :O)

Otherwise I'd want mine yellow.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few years ago some friends took me to a Dutch auction, all cstarter well a lot of excellent brand new items were auctioned very cheaply, one the crowd was in the mood the cameras came up for sale.

Very similar in spec to the Nokina these were badged as Canomatics, touted as £500 systems ($1000) direct from the manufacturer they began to sell well, and they were selling for between £80 and £100. Big burly bouncers (security guards) kept dissenters quiet by ushering them out.

Within a few minutes hundreds of cameras jhad been sold, the bouncers kept an eye out for anyone complaining, the whole auction was a total scam, but unfortunately totally legal.

Last year a building labourer working on my house offered me a Nikon sounding version, he genuinely thought it was too valuable and complex for him to take on his annual holidays. The truth was only the outfit case was fit for purpose and well made the camera and flash were possibly useable but even a disposable film camera would give better results.

Ian

14. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amusing as these things are, it saddens me to see people on ebay shelling out large amounts of money for what is effectively to a disposable camera with a hinge on the back.
    In fact, I suspect that the new kodak disposables have better lenses than this!