Busker --1970's Canon FTbn

Discussion in 'Street' started by pentaxpete, Nov 29, 2013.

1. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have lubricated my Canon FTbn bodies by taking off the base plate and just touching the cogs and pivots with oil on a piece of fuse-wire -- so took out one loaded with 2006 outdated Fuji Superia 100 and took this shot of a 'Busker' one -man -band with the 100mmf2.8 Canon SSC Breechlock lens at f4 to try to put the background more out of focus. The camera winds on very smoothly now -- first 'service' in 40 years !
    [​IMG]
    Canon FTBn 03 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've retired my Ftbn, it still works but creaks a bit and needs a service, but I decided to replaced it with a new F1 body, and spent the CLA cost on that instead of the Feb.

3. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm all toes when it comes to anything mechanical these days, so I paid a professional to do that. It was more money than I wanted to spend, but it beats having a bunch of dusty shelf queens.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an agreement with the camera technician who services my photographic equipment, I don't try and service my gear, and he doesn't take photographs .

5. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So how much would a CLA on an FTBn be? I'd like to get the meter calibrated for alkaline batteries, get the focus adjusted, and the frame spacing adjusted if possible. The spacing isn't perfect for my scanners negative carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or, a bagful of bits you can't put beck together :smile:

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great photo and great camera. I have one.

Jeff

8. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A basic CLA typically runs about $65, depending on your technician. I think it cost me $150 to have one completely serviced, including upgrading the battery circuit.

9. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I call that the 'unsorted parts bin'. Mine is rather full at the moment.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my camera shop we used to get lots of elderly men come in. with pathetic expressions on their faces carrying plastic shopping bags containing their dismantled cameras who wanted them fixing, but the repair company we used wouldn't touch any equipment that had been "tampered with by unskilled Labour, because it made it so difficult to repair because often several components had been lost and were missing".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  11. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do NOT 'undo' anything !! I very carefully read all about the FTBn and also 'De-Squeaking' the 'A' series Canons which I have done but only after taking off the base-plate about 4 times and trying to get a VERY SMALL amount of Oil on a piece of Fuse-wire ( as I do not have a Syringe with needle) onto the right place. I had to get a small enough screwdriver to fit the Japanese screws -- I found a 'spectacle Repair Kit' in Maplins for £ 2-50 with screwdriver which worked. When you take off the base-plate you can see all the cogs and pivots -- I just touch with a minute amount of sewing machine oil on fuse-wire and it goes in by 'capillary action' to the moving parts.