"Buy yourself a book for Christmas....."

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by hoffy, Dec 1, 2011.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

The Christmas season is nearly apon us again dammit! I have been asked by a family member to "Buy yourself a book for Christmas...." While it doesn't sound in the spirit, I do quite like this approach, as I know I will get something that I will like/treasure, instead of some mind numbing crap that will sit in a drawer after boxing day!

Now the hard part! Finding something! Last year my wife gave me "Beyond Monochrome", which has become my go to book. This year, I would like to get something more so on the inspiration or even pictorial side of things, as opposed to technical

My first thought was "Approaching Photography" by Paul Hill, but I am after more suggestions.

Can anyone recommend anything that might be good? I am probably looking at around $50-$60 Aussie dollars(maybe $100 if I can stretch it), so a first release classic is out of the question!

Cheers!

2. therese

therese Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are looking for inspiration I would recomend you to buy a bunch of these: http://www.aperture.org/books/book-categories/masters-books
    I have a looked at a few of them and think it´s very good to watch other peoples work. Especially stuff that I havent even thougt of like the photographers that worked with surrealism. That is what I would have done if I had 50$ for more books.

3. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Therese, They are a thought.

I have found another that interests me - "The nature of photographs" By Stephen Shore. Has anyone read this one? Would they recommend it?

Cheers

4. lesm

lesm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought "Paris" by Robert Doisneau. 400 pages and 560 delicious, stunning, moving, humorous photos of Paris and Parisians from the 1930s to around the 1980s along with some written commentary by Doisneau himself. If you like street photography and you're looking for inspiration, this is Pavlov's dog food - you'll salivate all over your nice clean shirt. It was about $46 I think.

It's getting hard to find a bookshop with a decent collection of photography books in Adelaide now, eh, since Borders and A&R closed. Have you ever checked out Michael Treloar bookshop, 196 North Terrace, just about opposite the State Library? They have a big collection of secondhand photog. books, many I've never seen elsewhere. Might be worth a look.

Tell us what you get in the end.

Les

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  5. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  7. shutterclank

shutterclank Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  8. rudolf

rudolf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, yes, Magnum Contact sheets was number 1 on my list, but was a bit out of the budget.

I ended up ordering "The nature of photographs" By Stephen Shore. I read a few reviews in a few places and thought that it might be a good read and get me thinking about photographs as well as just looking at them.

Cheers