Buying a boxed (new) Bronica

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mats_A, May 31, 2010.

1. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about buying a boxed, unused Bronica? I know cameras like to be used and can gum up when left on the shelf. Any experience with buying a MF camera that has been sitting in a box for X years. Should I factor in a CLA in the price or what is your valued opionion on this?

r

Mats

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I geuss it depends on how long it was boxed and where it was located at (cool dry or humid). If the price is reasonable it might be a good buy. Bronica is a great camera!

Jeff

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I bought my RB last year the lens the seller had on it had a frozen shutter from lack of use, it had probably been used twice in the previous 10+ years. It was a complete surprise to him that it wasn't working.

I just made an offer on the rest of the camera and let him keep the lens.

It was easy and inexpensive to replace the lens with a nice working used one.

Going forward if the RB body broke I'd just replace it, hard to justify a CLA when KEH is offering a working replacement for $43 and nice older lenses for under $150.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you test drive it? I'd want to try it before I buy it. If it works, you are in luck, if not, you are still in luck(cause you didn't buy it).

5. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :tongue: No I can't. It's at a dealer several 1000 kms from me.

r

Mats

6. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mats,

I can't help with whether the camera you are looking at will have problems or not, but I did purchase a "new old" stock SQ-B kit with 80mm f/2.8 a few years ago and haven't experienced any issues.

Tom

7. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is it a 645 RF model? That one is becoming a cult camera and I sure would like to have a NOS RF.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would only buy it if the seller would give me a return period of say, 7 to 14 days. If it was sitting in box for years, fungus or dried or gummed up oil can be an issue. If nothing shows; on the other hand, in that period, it could also be a great buy. Again, I'd like to have an inspection/return period clearly stated before I hand over the money.

9. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    NOS?

Tom

10. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In some models (SQ-* series), I would imagine the light seals in the backs might have turned to goo and nearly disappeared whether the camera was used or not. That's not a big deal to remedy, but would entail some work and at least cost of materials.

11. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New Old Stock.

Also, NIB is New In Box.

12. RedTownCats

RedTownCats Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess there are no guarantees. Having said that, I just picked up some SQA kit including a new in box 80PS kit and spare body -- all were fine including shutter and light seals.

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually, NOS in an unopened box is OK when it comes to fungus and such, but you never know for sure until you see it. An inspection period is the best bet, just to make sure everything is OK. If you can find out its age somehow that would be useful-seals are usually good for 15 or 20 years. I had an ETR-S older than that, which was fine without ever having had any work done to it.
    Price is a factor: if it's cheap enough to be worth giving it a CLA (clean, lubricate, adjust) if it needs to have it then you really can't go wrong.

14. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    NOS, New Old Stock. Sitting on a shelf or backroom for years, never used, never sold.

15. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    NOS makes your camera go faster!

16. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But jet it right or you'll blow it up!

17. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I purchased my Bronica ETRSi (which I again recently sold) new in the box. Everything worked exactly as it should - purchased body, back, 40mm lens, and hand-grip new. Perfect...never had a problem with any of it and I would certainly recommend this method if you can manage to find one. BTW I sold it off after using it for about a year and a half for more than I purchased it for...bought and sold on *Bay.

So, my experience was positive. Oh, and I only sold off the kit because I'm shifting my work methods and didn't need a 645.