Buying film in Halifax, NS, CA

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by PhotoJim, Jun 22, 2011.

1. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia and having a blast but I'm wishing I'd brought more 35mm Velvia 100 with me.

Are there any Haligonians (or recent visitors) who can give me some direction as to whether I could pick up some Velvia or E100VS or Elite Extra Colour while I'm here?

Carsand Mosher looks like it was once a good film shop but their site is hugely slanted to digital now, to the point where the "Film Services" tab for processing states "Still have some undeveloped film?" That gives me the impression that they can't be bothered to stock film, but perhaps it was an overzealous web developer who didn't understand that some people choose to own iPhones and iPads but still shoot film. :smile:

Thanks in advance,

Jim

PS - off to Cape Breton Island on Friday, then off to the Fundy shore near the Annapolis Valley to finish the trip late next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

2. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Carsand Mosher in Bayers Lake does stock a small amount of film behind the counter. Give them a call to see what they have. They also have store in Truro that you may pass by on the way to Cape Breton. Their website is indeed sadly digital but they do have a small amount of film,paper, and chemicals hidden in the back corner. I'm not 100% sure but I think Henry's in Bayers Lake might also stock some. There is also Atlantic Photo, downtown on Spring Garden Road - but I haven't been in the store for many years.

Best of luck

George

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  3. garysamson

garysamson Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    There is a camera store in Sydney on the island of Cape Breton and they did stock film there a few years ago when I was there working on a book about Cape Breton. I can't recall the name however. Good luck!

4. Timestep

Timestep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Atlantic Photo on Spring Garden Road does stock some film, but I don't use Fuji, and can't advise if they have your velvia in stock.

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice. I struck out at Henry's but will try Carsand and Atlantic while I am still in town.

6. areaeleven

areaeleven Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, Carsand downtown used to carry a decent supply of film but since that location's closure it's slim pickings. I have to order film in from elsewhere.

Glad to hear you're otherwise having a good time here!

7. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Carsand Moser in Truro was always worth a visit - but I haven't been in for a bit, so I'm not certain about their film stock.

8. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Jim
    I may have a few rolls of Velvia 50 etc in the freezer if all else fails.I'm in Bedford and you can always drop by anyway 835 3911 cell 440 2730

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up a few rolls of Sensia 100 at Carson today - they had some pro films too but they weren't refrigerated. At least they had them. So I'll be good now.

Thanks so much for the offer, Mark - I appreciate it. Maybe we could meet up for a drink tomorrow night?

10. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The NSCAD art store downtown has some selection of B&W film (Ilford and Kodak), but I don't think they have much colour. They have Ilford paper and chemicals.

11. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Sure Jim-give me a call and we'll set something up. I'm doing some tractor work at my daughters house so may only have the cell phone at some point in the mid morning. Will check my messages anyway.
    Mark