Buying/getting hold of an RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kim Catton, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all

I am very very close to buying mysef a RB67 pro s. Now I just need places to look for it. I live in Denmark and so far i haven't found a single one. Therefore I am searching the internet. ive used KEH.com before and I am thinking of during it again, they seem to stock the RB67 most of the time. Is there any other place I should look?

Best regards

Kim

2. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's always eBay. It isn't uncommon to see RB67 outfits sell there for good prices.

Best,

Michael

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Im hunting ebay. A good RB67 pro s with 90mm lens is $200 US.

4. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That seems very reasonable! does that include back and viewfinder as well ? And is the lens a C ?

5. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would say that a basic RB67 might be had for $200, but a good one might cost you a bit more. The RB's were mainly workhorse studio cameras and many of them have high mileage. Don't buy the cheapest one you find - make sure it is in good working order and not worn out.

That being said, the RB's are likely the best deal gong in MF SLR's right now.

6. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When buying an RB67 you have to be sure there is some sort of return policy since there are so many old cameras in dire need of service, you can get stuck with a real lemmon. If you want a camera that "works" n has a return policy, buy KEH, it's your best bet. Since you are so far out, if you buy something with $50 shipping, it may not be worth trying your luck with a private guy on E-Bay. I always see great deals on RBs like this... http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=859490 on PhotoNet. You have to keep your eyes opened n be careful who you are dealing with.

BTW if you do buy a camera, it may be worth having a reapirmen take a look at it before your return policy runs out. They are familiar with the camera n know what may need service in the near future.

7. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about an RZ...with two RB lenses (rotating back and two finders) for $450 US?

8. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A 90mm C lens with that fetches just over that (225?). I've seen non-c 90mm w/ viewfinder and 6x7 back go for $150 shipped.

I keep waiting. Sooner or later I'll buy something.

9. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is it possible to see pictures of this? I am definetely interrested in knowing more about this deal.

Kim

10. Brad Bireley

Brad Bireley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a RB PROSD with a 90 c for $200.00. The great thing is it looks like it was never or hardly use!

11. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are plenty of RBs out there in great shape. Those are the closet cleanouts of old pros converting to digital. Most are in need of some service but minor almost DIY type stuff like replacing foam seals. The one thing you must be aware of are the lenses. They don't store as well when not being used.

Lenses are always in more need of service than the bodies if left unused. They tend to get slugish, the lube cakes up. The good news on older shutter is they were made of top quality brass n were beautiful clock works compared to the newer varieties that have cost saving stamped steel n plastic parts. I love working on the older shutters because they leave lots of room for adjustments n don't seem to die as easily as the new ones. The modern versions are disposables, no parts available anymore either... shame, they do have nice glass.

12. Mr.Helberg^^

Mr.Helberg^^ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Kim
    I live in Denmark as well and I think Photografica has a used RB for sale :wink:
    Check out photografica.com :smile: and/or visit the store in Skindergade.

13. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, one of the biggest problems with the old RB's is the light seals. I got mine in great shape, but the seals were deteriorated on the body and the backs. I have never in my life seen a camera that has so many seals on it - they are around the mirror, the rotating back, and there are about 7 on the film backs. Quite a chore to reseal one of these puppies - I ordered a light seal set from Aki-Asahi in Japan, well worth it.

15. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kim, I don't know what your budget is or how the exchange rate currently is with the GB pound, but you can still buy the RB brand new in the UK for £799 with either the 90mm or 127mm lens. If that isn't a desirable option, hopefully it will at least give you a benchmark for secondhand prices.

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

16. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    JRJ, you didn't mention the seals tht never get changed inside the body, the seals around the viewscreen and the dark slide baffles. The others are a piece of cake n really simple to DIY with a self stick foam kit generally available for around $20 from Interslice on E-Bay. That kit has enough to do 3 or 4 cameras.

17. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Paul -

Yes, I remember those ones too. It was about a year ago. My main memory is that I couldn't believe how many light seals there were - never seen so many in a camera. The kit's from interslice would work too - but you would spend a lot of time cutting all the strange shaped pieces - some of them were triangles IIRC.

That being said, mine has stayed leak free so it worked. :smile:

18. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Kim,

There are/were RB67's in the classified section of the forum.

Mike

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kim,

I'd just like to reinforce Peter Black's suggestion of Ffordes as a good dealer for used (and new) equipment.

Tom.

20. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The people of photografica is always helpful and kind. I use them alot when buying film etc. but when it comes to second hand equipment I think prices are way over the top... Even taking shippingcost and taxes into account, when buying from internets shops. Ive just missed an RB67 with three lenses going for 3000 DKR. on dba.dk (thats about 300 english pounds...). RBs and RZs are a rare thing here in Denmark.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera equipment do you use?

Kim

22. Mr.Helberg^^

Mr.Helberg^^ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes the people in Photografica are very kind, ive bought most of my equipment there :wink:
    3000kr you say?? :O too bad, that sounded like a very good deal :smile:
    I use a Hasselblad 500 c/m with a c 80/2.8 and a cf 150/4 T*,
    I also use a Holga, Diana or Ricoh TLR....I also have a digital 400D but i don't really use it ;b
    I really want to get hold of a RZ as well, the huge finder and the lenses are very tempting :smile:

23. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format