Buying Photography Books

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by david b, Nov 22, 2004.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been looking for some books and a friend recommended overstock.com.

They are 8-15% cheaper than amazon.

Once you get through most of the crap, there are quite a few great titles.

2. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use sjlibrary.org -- once you manage to late fees, it's usually 98-100% cheaper than amazon. Lots of good out-of-print titles to select, too.

3. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another place is: EdwardRHamilton.com
    Chuck

4. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photoeye books is great if you're looking for something no one else has. Although their prices are close to retail, their prices on the Web are usually discounted a little and they do have sale books at a bargain. Over the past year or so, they've managed to locate a couple of out-of-print books I could not obtain elsewhere at a reasonable price. Used copies of one of the books was selling for over $200 but Photoeye obtained a new, plastic wrapped first edition for the original retail price of $45.

Otherwise, I buy a lot of books from Amazon's "new and used" merchants. There can be some great bargains through these sellers and I've never been disappointed in the service or condition of anything I've bought from them.

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I go into photo-eye almost daily since I live about a mile from them. Nice people.

Also, try checking www.abebooks.com . They have about 15,000 book dealers listed.

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I usually just buy from Amazon; I like the convience. I just bought myself a copy of Jack Dykinga's "Arizona" (recently published) and am looking forward to seeing it delivered today (I used to live in AZ, and sometimes miss it).

7. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Alibris.com. It is a book finding site that works through hundreds of independent new and used book stores to find titles. Rates the stores, lists available books by prices and condition. There are a couple of other sites like it but don't recall the names. I have been extemely pleased with purchases made and the condition of the books.

8. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Book Finder has a good search tool; and compares prices to many of the above-mentioned sites.

9. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks for the link Doughowk, I also use BestBookBuys . This is a similar site to find out of print and new titles.

10. mfobrien

mfobrien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also try half.com -- I have purchased a lot of photo books there at amazingly low prices.

11. sparx

sparx Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As an analogue option, i usually pop down to my local second-hand bookshop. He always carries a few good reads. A bit old but hey, i'm a film user so my stuff's not obsolete after 6 months. :tongue: