C-22 film in Rodinal?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Nathan Smith, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last week I picked up a near-mint Ciro-flex F with a roll of Kodacolor-X (on a metal spool) still in the camera. I don't do color processing, and definitely not C-22, but I would like to see what's on the film, so I was thinking of a semi-stand dunk in Rodinal. Any advice on that? I also have some other developers if you think another would be better. Also, would a pre-soak in a little sodium bicarbonate help reduce the stain on the base?
    Thanks, Nathan

2. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I always just use diafine on found c-22 films. It works pretty well. I do 4 minutes for each solution just to make sure the solutions really soak into the emulsion. Never had a problem with base fog, oddly.. it's more the base of the film which tends to be a swine to print through. I don't think you can get rid of the base colour because it's the colour of the plastic or whatever.

3. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Heather!

4. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't find any diafine, so I went ahead with Rodinal 1:100 for 54 mins. Heather's right - that base is really dark. I don't think it would have been worth the trouble to try and print it, but a fair amount of scanner manipulation pulled out 3 viewable shots. Here's one http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=29016&cat=500&ppuser=5994
    I kind of like it. The photographer was heads-down looking at the TLR and probably never knew that the kid walked in front of the subject at the last second. The girl in the background doesn't care.
    Nathan

5. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I really hate to admit it but with the c-22 sometimes the best images do come from scanned rather than printed. At least on B&W. Not sure how well it'd do on colour printing since I do scan it in as colour (hmmm...)