C-41 B&W Films

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by modafoto, May 12, 2005.

1. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi there

Sometimes I am in short of time when shooting some B&W stuff for customers. Therefore I am looking the best way to deal with this. I often do not have the time to develop the film myself, but have to have the film done by a lab. My local pro lab has dropped trad. B&W film development so these films are not an option. Furthermore I need the prints within a few hours for evaluation and for picking out the candidates for final use with the customer.

It would be great if the film is well for scanning, too.

Morten

P.S.: If I do not find any solution I have to go dig***l to compete with other photogs.

2. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hiya Morten :smile:

Easy peasy Ilford XP2 rated at 250 or 320, have it processed normally at 400. I know you will love the results and it's perfect for scanning.

Btw. Prints from C41 B&W film are sepia on colour paper.

Edit: Added the only scan I can find of XP2 at the moment :wink:

Attached Files:

• XP2.jpg
      XP2.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exactly: XP2 at the suggested rated iso value is fine.

Except for sepia prints on RA-4 at the end XP2 is the best (C41 film) option for enlarging on classical B&W (VC) paper.

Best regards,

Robert

4. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    XP2 was in my mind already. I just wanted to hear the APUG opinion before buying a bunch.

I have a roll in the lab at the moment so I am looking forward to have it back. I will do some more careful testing later with different ratings and normal dev.

It is a huge advantage that it is good for copying on trad paper. And for the sepia tone: My lab is making beautiful brown prints from B&W negs on colour paper. It works great with Tri-X, too. They just have to be informed that I want them to print on color paper. But they are getting used to the funny man (me) who wants C-41 dev'ed his slide films and other not normal things.

Thanks for the comments!

5. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Morten take 135 Hail Rodinals for thinking of digital and if that doesn't work I'll send the Rodinal Nuns around to sort you out :wink:

6. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Haha!

will do...