C-41 Reversal Shennanigans

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by htmlguru4242, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. htmlguru4242

    htmlguru4242 Member

    Messages:
    973
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Location:
    Sandy Hook,
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of you might find this interesting.

    Ok - so I had a couple rolls of Rollei (AGFA) digibase 200. Seeing as how it has a clear base, I figured that I'd repeat my experiments from a few years ago and try reversal-processing it. I shot it at ISO 400 (one stop underexposed). I processed them in D-76 at 100F for 5.5 minutes, washed, re-exposed to light, and rolled it back up into the can.

    Processing it at the local one-hour photo gave some ... interesting results.

    Looking at the emulsion side gives a monochrome ambrotype-like image. It's an [overexposed] positive image. Looking at the image by transmitted light gives a negative-looking image with strikingly positive reds and blues. Looking through the base, with the film sitting on black surface gives a color positive image that is very brown in tone. The film has a strong orange/brown color to the base.

    I put the scans that the lab gave me into Photoshop, and inverted them to give positive images. I'll post what came out in a few minutes.
     
  2. htmlguru4242

    htmlguru4242 Member

    Messages:
    973
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Location:
    Sandy Hook,
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok - so here are a few of the shots, inverted in Photoshop ... yes I know that that's a dirty word around here.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. SkipA

    SkipA Member

    Messages:
    604
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2002
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Grainy, but very interesting. The colors don't appear true, but it is a fascinating effect.

    Whatever on earth made you think of trying this?
     
  4. zsas

    zsas Member

    Messages:
    1,962
    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Interesting for sure! I like it. I once did similar, though shot slide (Ektachrome 64T) at 200, processed in Xtol, then fixing in C-41 non-hard fix, then bleaching in potassium ferricyanide and potassium bromide, then running the film through C-41, got this interesting one too....

    [​IMG]
     
  5. Arctic amateur

    Arctic amateur Member

    Messages:
    208
    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2011
    Location:
    Ringerike, N
    Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting. Is this the CN200 (C-41) or CR200 (E-6) film?
     
  6. BMbikerider

    BMbikerider Member

    Messages:
    769
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2012
    Location:
    County Durha
    Shooter:
    35mm
    Which just goes to show that C41 film is just about indestructible whatever you process it in
     
  7. htmlguru4242

    htmlguru4242 Member

    Messages:
    973
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Location:
    Sandy Hook,
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the C41 version. As to why I did it? Who knows ... lol. It seemed like an interesting idea.

    I'm going to bleach the film tonight to see if clearing out the extra silver makes it somewhat clearer.

    I don't know if the Noritsu processing unit at CVS did any color correction on the scans, but I want to take an optical look at these and see what they really look like.
     
  8. htmlguru4242

    htmlguru4242 Member

    Messages:
    973
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Location:
    Sandy Hook,
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bleached these about 10 minutes ago, with dichromate bleach. I'd forgotten how nasty that stuff was, ick.

    The negs. are still drying down, so they have a little bit of a purple cast, but I can almost call this a success.

    There was a *ton* of silver left over from my initial development, and it has all cleared out. There are pretty good positive images on the film. Reds and greens are strikingly visible, but a lot of the other colors fade into a sort-of murky brown.

    I'd accidentally left a dim green safelight on while I was unloading the film from the roll, so these could be fogged. I'll post some snaps of the actual positives once they're dry.

    I think that I'll shoot a few more rolls and see if I can't come up with something that gives a good image.