C41 and RA 4 Blix. Are they compatible?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Aurelien, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have just bought a color analog minilab (Kis MAgnum pro) and chemicals at tetenal. I have choosen Ergotype RA4 products. My question is the following: I have C41 developer, but no blix. CAN I use RA4 blix to develop in C41 or not? Are they compatible?
    Thanks for your help

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know specifically about this Kis machine but its highly unlikely. With Kodak, Fuji & Noritsu processors the C41 units always take separate Bleach and Fixer solution.

Contact Tetenal they are very helpful, and their chemistry is excellent.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The paper blix is much more dilute than a 'normal' C41 blix for film. There is about 3x the silver in film or more, than there is for paper. In addition, most blixes are rather poor when used on color film anyway, as they degrade the image by leaving some silver behind.

PE

4. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, Paterson used to sell a "universal" blix, intended for use with both film and paper. It was diluted more for paper than for film. I don't know if you could use a concentrated paper blix from another manufacturer and dilute it less for successful use on film, though. Besides, I personally have gotten better results from separate bleach and fixer for C-41 than from either of the two blixes I've tried (Paterson's and a mix-it-yourself formula). Therefore, I recommend you buy some C-41 bleach and fixer.