C41 by mail...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Resoman, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Resoman

Resoman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Howdy -

Since moving to Texas five years ago, I've pretty much had to give up shooting medium format Ilford XP2 since I'm 100 miles from the nearest lab (Austin or Houston) that will process 120 C41. My grocery store does a very nice job with my 35mm XP2, but I don't know how long that will last, either.

I don't mind processing film (in fact, I enjoy it) but I truly prefer the "look" of XP2 to the ISO 400 films I've tried. I don't shoot a great volume of film, and would rather not get into C41 processing in my own darkroom.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for labs that offer C41 processing by mail - ideally, supplying prepaid mailing envelopes, if anyone offers that kind of service these days. Proximity to south Texas would be a plus.

Thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

2. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Anti-recommendation

I have a good local lab, but before using them I tried a couple online joints (35mm only) and can tell you that both Snapfish and Photoworks do a terrible job. If you do find a good one let us all know.

Anyone recommend processing XP2 in non C41-chems?

3. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    My local drugstore sends 120 C41 and E6 film out to be processed. Takes about 2 weeks and costs $4. Although they use Fujifilm processing, I believe they send 120 film to a pro lab to be processed. They did one time send it to A&I for developing and I think it cost $8 that time. If you can wait for processing you would save on shipping.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  4. Volvospeed

Volvospeed Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hate walmart and have not been to one in 10 years but I know from friends here they will still send off 120 c41 and e6. AI mailers are what I would do though if I did not have my own wet room. You can order them from B&H and others. Cost will be slightly more than the local drug stores or crapmart, but you will be getting it done right.

5. eworkman

eworkman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Praus Productions, Rochester
    Fast good everything
    I recently mailed several rolls to them from the left coast, same day I sent a mailer to A&I in LA -250 miles.
    Got all of them back on the same day, but the A&I came postage due ?!!?

6. Naples

Naples Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A & I Mailers From B & H Photo

Regarding A & I mailers purchased from B & H Photo, be aware that some you receive may have (mine did) the old address for A & I (A & I said they haven't been there in over one year). So you will need to check the A & I website (www.aandi.com) for the current correct address.

7. epraus

epraus Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Regarding Praus Productions, we are now APUG sponsors again and are proud to announce that we now have Refrema C-41 processor for clean and streak free processing!

Edgar Praus
    www.4photolab.com