C41 Cross Processing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by k_jupiter, Feb 14, 2006.

1. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all, I posted a question in the B&W forum similar to this but with different emphisis...

I screwed up and processed Fuji 1600 color film thinking it was pan film. Duh!

Now what to do with these deep orange negatives? There is a fair amount of image on them, Diafine does a number on the black image of color film. There is of course, no color dye showing, so do I have them printed at the local quik print place. or should I just scan them and see what happens. I suspect they won't come out very well in a conventional darkroom.

Any cross processors have an idea?

tim in san jose

2. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't tried to enlarge cross processed C-41, though from logic and what I hear, it's difficult to get good contrast with the orange mask, as it filters our much of the light that the paper is sensitive to.

I have scanned negs. like this before, and it works fine; a little bit of Photoshop work is needed to pull them out of the orange haze, but its doable.

I believe that some of your problem may be solved if you remove the yellow mask layer from the film. I believe it is made from silver, so it may be bleached out ... not sure how to do this though ...

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please see my reply in the other thread.

PE

4. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's not as bad as all that. I've never developed C-41 film in B&W developers, but I have printed Kodak's C-41 B&W film on conventional B&W paper. This film has a color mask that looks like a typical C-41 color film's mask. Sometimes I've had to kick the contrast up a notch or so (using VC paper), and exposure times are on the long side, but otherwise the film prints much like conventional B&W films.

5. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm I've heard differently. You learn something new all the time. Though you should keep in mind that the kodak b&w was developed in a standard process and the yellow filter layer was no longer present, making them much lighter.