C41

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by mexico531, Nov 27, 2009.

1. mexico531

mexico531 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hope someone can help with this. After years of processing my own C41 with no problems, I've suddenly got a 120 film that gradually shades to cyan towards one side. Obviously, any prints I try to make are very crossy and very difficult. It's making the prints almost look as if they have got L.C.D. Though obviously more pronounced towards one side. Anyone any ideas as to what could have caused this please?

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reminds me of being lightstruck, maybe from the backing not winding tight or a light leak in camera.

3. mexico531

mexico531 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think it's lightstruck, it doesn't have that look about it. If it is, it's a very brief, weak exposure to faint red light as it's cyan. I certainly don't have any light leaks in any of my Bronica backs.

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It could be an agitation/temperature/chemistry coverage issue. What kind of tank are you using?

5. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had that happen when the paper backing didn't wind tight enough, sometimes happens with a Bronnie back when the tension rollers get a little sprung. Do you remember how tight the roll was wound when you took it out? Fogging indoors quite often make red looking streaks on the image.

6. mexico531

mexico531 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The roll was wound as tight as always; I'm always very careful about how tightly wound each roll of film is. It's not streaks as such - not the sort of appearance you would expect from a light leak. It looks more of a processing issue.

7. mexico531

mexico531 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would tend to agree with what you say. It's a paterson multi reel tank. I've never had any issues with these tanks before, for either colour or mono, I find them very easy to use. The other 2 films that were processed in the same tank along with the problem film are fine. I always process 3 films at a time and it's never been a problem before.

8. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would it be much trouble to scan the strip so we can get a better idea?

9. mexico531

mexico531 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've tried scanning some of the negs with my film scanner so I can illustrate the problem. Unfortunately, it cannot be seen on any of the negs when scanned via my film scanner - yes I did set the scanner to pos colour so that the images would be negative - but they just look like normal film with no faults. I admit it is rather faint but you can still it with the naked eye. I assume the scanner is correcting the fault in some way.