Cable release for Mamiya RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MamiyaJen, Aug 20, 2011.

1. MamiyaJen

MamiyaJen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a cable release shortly before buying the Mamiya but when I've gone to test it, for whatever reason it won't fire the shutter unless the back is open. Obviously that's not much good so was wondering if anyone can help? I've never used a cable release before so don't know if there's different fittings or what. I do know though that the cable won't screw all the way into the mamiya.

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm. I only use a cable release on mine for "mirror up" shooting. Does your release work for that?

3. MamiyaJen

MamiyaJen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure what you mean but it doesn't do anything when i press it. it's as if it just isn't reaching despite the pin being quite long. I thought it would be down to the fact that it doesn't screw all the way in but surely not if it works when i open the back? (without film in, i hasten to add lol :wink: )

4. MamiyaJen

MamiyaJen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry folks, ignore this. Until someone kindly mentioned it I completely forgot about the interlocks in the body and hadn't tried the cable whilst film was loaded. Film now loaded and cable working fine. It was just me being thick :wink:

5. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also try it in multi exposure mode, on the back... flip the small tab under the film advance lever on/off the red dot?

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any cable release will be good.

Jeff

7. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to fire the shutter with the mirror up to avoid mirror bounce, screw the cable release into the shutter release button on lens instead of the camera release button. Then turn the lens button so it's on manual. Then, once you compose the shot, you release the mirror manually with the big camera button you had been using. That will cause the mirror to lock up. Wait a few seconds for the tripod and camera to stop shaking, and then release the shutter with the cable release. I use this method all the time with my landscape shots.

8. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do the same as Alan. It's fast, easy and effective.