Caffenol is magic.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by powasky, Feb 2, 2013.

1. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I devved my first roll of black and white at home a few days ago. I used a tank I purchased arbitrarily from a member here, with uncertain temperatures and measurements in my Caffenol C-M recipe. I fixed with Ilford Rapid Fix. Film is Tri-X. Having never developed film before, I was overjoyed when I actually saw images on my negatives. I made prints in the lab I have access to for my PHT101 class, and tried to match the scans to the prints. I think they turned out pretty well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time, I intend to more carefully work with temperature and time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  2. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great job.

3. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    fair, for a first time. Better than my first time back in 1971. I just looked up what caffenol was. How can it develop, I ask, without elon or hydroquinone, glycin, pro, etc? Wild.I might have some KBr around here. Neat.

4. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to both of you.

Mr. Finley - I was blown away with how easy Caffenol was. Also, I mistyped in my original post - I used Caffenol C-M, not C-L. I'm not interested in stand dev, and I'm not sure that the KBr could really add anything to what I achieved. I imagine that temperature management would do a lot more for me.

5. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a Microdol-X man more than any other, and one of those who does things by Kodak procedure. For 40 years. Now, plain coffee and a vitamin C pill or 2.That's a kick.

6. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Never hurts to give it a try. I think you'd be as happily surprised as I was. Just don't forget the washing soda :D.

7. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I never had heard of washing soda. Never saw any. I suppose it's counterpart in a conventional developer would be sodium sulfite, carbonate, borax, or other alkali

8. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's sodium carbonate. You can make it yourself using sodium bicarbonate and an oven, or you can buy it from a store. I purchased mine from Walmart.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i henry

washing soda is a water softener from what i have been told .. its just bicarbonate of soda ( baking soda ) with less moisture in the powder
    that is why you can heat it in the oven and force out the moisture ...
    i've been using caffenol in one form or another for about 7 years for all my work. its fun and works great !
    ( i roast my own sumatran beans special for my darkroom work :smile: )

YMMV
    john