Calculating contrast index

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by lamda, Jan 5, 2010.

1. lamda

lamda Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now that I finally bought a densitometer, I am interested in calculating the contrast index, so I can see how my negatives compare with Kodak suggestions. (Don't worry, I will use other ways of evaluating them too, such as Adam's The Negative.) I found two formulas in the Kodak publication Monitoring and Troubleshooting KODAK Black-and-White Film Processes.

More accurate: CI = 0.128 + (0.267 x D-min) - (0.969 x TD) + (0.454 x LD) + (0.183 x HD) + (0.039 x D-max)

Less accurate: CI = (HD - TD) / 2.26 + 0.10

These, of course, are meant for use with Kodak process control strips, which I don't have. If I use an ordinary step pattern (21 steps) I figure D-min is the film base and D-max is any of the patches with such a strong exposure they are all the same. So which patches should I use for Toe Density, Low Density, and High Density?

Or, maybe there is a different formula to use with 21 step patterns.

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally, I do mine on the computer and I use a linear regression to find the slope of the first 11 steps higher than 0.1 on the "Y" axis and use that as my "Personal Contrast Index."

All the myriad of methods for measuring contrast of the film have problems because some fiilms have a straight portion and some are totally "S" shaped or "J" shaped. Find a method that you like and stick with that, realizing that none are perfect.

4. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would think that a plot of the empirical H-D curve would be much more interesting than an estimate of the CI.

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are both interesting.

6. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good book. I prefer the average gradient method, but CI is fine. Note that Ilford is using yet another method. To measure the CI yourself, I have attached two files. Print the first to plot your data. Print the second on clear overhead foil and use to measure the CI. make sure to print both at the same scale.

Attached Files:

7. lamda

lamda Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, between the two of these I should be able to manage.