Call for photographers - the APUG print sales gallery

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

The APUG print sales gallery is not open yet but I would like to start building the catalog before we go 100% live. If you are a subscriber and would like to sign up for a gallery account then visit this page:

http://www.apug-gallery.com

At the bottom of the page you will see "Register to Sell", click that to create your account. I will then approve the account and get back to you.

Please browse the current work to get an idea of the high quality we would like to continue to have in the gallery. The print sales gallery is intended to be an impressive showcase of 100% traditional prints. Please ensure the work you post is of the highest quality. The guidelines and recommendations for submission will be available soon. Thanks! Sean

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nice Sean. I'm looking forward to seeing this go live; I may even purchase a print or two myself.

One small item is that some of the navigational elements don't work yet (the tabs at the top of the page).

Thanks for all your hard work.

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Big, HUGE, MASSIVE potential!!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!

Murray

4. foldingcamera

foldingcamera Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am a new subscriber, and very much like the idea of submitting some of my photos to your new sales gallery, however my problem is that I have no darkroom or printing facilities. I am committed to the use of film, black and white developed by the two bath process (D23 then Kodalk). My negatives are then scanned into the computer and printed by the pietzography process (Cone Tech). Now that I have told you this you may be thinking of throwing me out of your group? I am considering doing 10 X 8 contact prints but the negatives will come out of an inkjet printer but this would not be 100% traditional would it!

Stephen :confused:

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Stephen, no one is interested in throwing you out of the group. You are welcome here. I think most realize that not everyone has access to a darkroom. If we knew where you were, it would be easier to tell you if there are any rental darkrooms near you that you could use.

Sean will have to answer your questions about what is appropriate for the gallery or not.

6. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For now the gallery is 100% traditional. I know this will be a let down for several people, but I find one of the things that makes the gallery unique is that it is 100% devoted to a traditional product. I would rather have a smaller collection of traditional prints than a larger collection of traditional @ hybrid prints..

7. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just stopped by for a look-see and wanted to say I Salute those who have posted work for sale, and wish all of you (and Sean) Best Wishes. Good job!!

8. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so far we have 25 registered and 11 have posted work so far :smile:

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll see what my production looks like over this winter (=darkroom season) and decide whether I feel worthy. :smile:

10. Andre R. de Avillez

Andre R. de Avillez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I respectfully and valiantly volunteer, if you find me worthy :smile:

11. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wanted to ask if there is a link to this site from the main page...have I missed it somewhere?

12. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you'll have to use: http://www.apug-gallery.com for now..

13. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's cool, thought maybe I just could not find it...it looks good BTW

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Many thanks to Sean for his hard work on the apug-gallery. It is a great oppurtunity to reach potential buyers and expand the visability of both my personal work and traditional photography in general amidst a quickly changing market. Shawn

16. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks for this sean - just signed up

17. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, and Leon you are ready to go now. We currently have 35 signed up 14 posting work so far :smile:

18. Pastiche

Pastiche Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Question -
    Sean, is it OK to use digital images of the work itself to (of the prints) post in the gallery?
    I ask b/c I dont have the scanning capacity to scan 16x20...
    And taking a 35mm shot of the work seems like .. well... kinda crazy.

I could print smaller... but in the end, the work that comes off the copy stand is still better captured than what comes off the flatbed.

19. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No issue with that whatsoever, scanning a print or taking a digipic of the print serve the same purpose..

20. Pastiche

Pastiche Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for clearing that up.

21. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My b&w FB prints are made for me . Does this disqualify me from participating in this venture. They are of course entirely analogue.

22. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    The site is coming along nicely Sean.

I have one problem thought. When you click on "PHOTOGRAPHERS" to view the different photographers in the site, it randomly mixes them each time you refresh the page. On the MAIN SITE this is okay, but it causes a problem when viewing the different photographers because you will look at the photographers on the 1st page, then click NEXT to go to page 2 of the photographer, and the computer will mix them again and you looking at the same photographer that were just on page one!!!

Might want to do something about this :smile:

Again, I love the idea how the images change on the main page everytime you refresh. Thats a good idea.

Ryan McIntosh

23. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ryan, I noticed that too and it should be fixed soon :smile:

24. Ralf

Ralf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a newbie to APUG and certainly can't be of help regarding fine art prints, which I am only about to learn, but I do have some (8 years) experience in web-design and marketing stuff. So here's my 2 cents:

- The general idea of the site is excellent, imho. Traditional photographs -- nothing else. I'm looking forward to see more excellent work on that site. Most photographers don't have the money or the skill to set up a site like that to sell their prints.

- From a web-design point-of-view, I would not recommend gradient, but solid colors for the site. Especially gradients used as backdrop for text (where at the moment is the red "under construction" warning) are tricky.

- My major suggestion would be to increase the size of the images in the gallery. I think they are too small to convince prospective buyers. They are around 460 pixels now, you should go for 800 in my opinion. I know this is an issue of copyright, image-theft etc. However, I think more business will be created if you provided higher resolution previews of the prints people might want to buy. Many of you guys are large format photographers, you know what impact a "large" photograph has. From a web-design and marketing point-of-view, this is easy to explain: The same print, 50cm x 60cm, appeals to more (general audience) people than a small 10 x 18 cm print. Same with pictures on the web. They want to see what they are going to buy, at least get an idea of it. A larger picture on the screen is simply more impressive, shows more detail, and buyers want to be impressed. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned regarding image theft. I noticed your renaming the JPGs to .php files etc. However, if it's a private site "stealing" the image, it might be a fan of your pictures, driving more attention to it. That can be dealt with a few e-mails and be to everyone's benefit. In case of commercial sites, you can sue them, should it ever come to that.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some input in case it hasn't been mentioned or discussed previously (and I didn't miss the button for a larger picture preview).

I truly hope this new site will drive some attention to the photographers and also make some good money to pay everybody involved.

25. Eric Jones

Eric Jones Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A question about color work. If working from Transparencies, would only an Ilfochrome print be acceptable as traditional. Or is a scan and a Chromira or Lightjet print from that scan acceptable. Other than that, I feel the site is looking great and will be a valuable resource for many seller/photographers/artists and buyers.

26. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Basically the must be no digital involvement in any part of the work. Some color guys are hand printing onto fuji crystal archive, but yes for transparencies you don't have many options. Thanks