Calling all LF users in UK !!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by paul owen, Jan 2, 2003.

1. paul owen

paul owen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is a general "call to arms" for LF users in the UK. I would like to get a group of us together in order to share info/ideas/experience! In the first instance it would be email based, but what I'd really like is to get together with like-minded souls maybe a couple of times a year in a "photogenic" part of the country for (say) a weekend of LF. This would be an ideal opportunity to create a UK-based network of LF photographers of all levels of experience. THIS IS NOT A CAMERA CLUB !! Rather a "gathering". Is anyone interested? C'mon, don't be shy!!

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm not UK based, but my day job brings me over there once or twice a year, and it's a place I like to visit (believe it or not, it's usually cheaper to fly to London from New York than it is to fly to many domestic destinations in the U.S.). If you wouldn't mind putting me on the mailing list, I'd be interested in knowing the schedule, just in case I happen to be in the neighborhood at the right time.

4. Phil Handforth

Phil Handforth Member

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is there room for someone from across the North Sea? Not many LF'ers in Norway, and UK is only a short hop away (or a slightly longer skip)

Ole Tj

6. Nick Despres

Nick Despres Member

Hi Paul,

Even though Guernsey is not in the UK I would be very keen to join such a group. Plus it would be a great place for a meeting one day. I registered specially so that I could post a reply to this.

Regards,
    Nick.

7. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Talk to me next summer. I'll be up visiting the family in M'boro. Hopefully that is not TOO far north for all you southerners... :smile:

8. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

9. JohnH

JohnH Member

Please add me to your list of potential attendees.

10. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

11. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    BTW I forgot. Please count me in !

12. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul

Did anything ever come of the 'gathering' idea?

Phill Dresser

13. Ceejay

Ceejay Member

Hi Paul,
    Just joined so I could post.
    If anything happens in the North of UK please count me in.
    Regards Charles

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. danieleugenio

danieleugenio Member

Yes, count me in as well!
    Daniel

16. Dennis

Dennis Member

Hi Paul,
    Yes, I am interested. Currently use Toyo 45A, mostly with 67 & 612 backs, but would like 5 x 7 & 11 x 14 too. Dennis :smile: <ddphoto.uk@lycos.com>

17. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul,

I would be interested in sharing ideas and experiences. I would consider myself a moderately experienced photographer, but fairly new to LF (a year on and off). If it is 'doable' I would like to join in any gathering.

Please add me to your mailing list:

tomstanworth@yahoo.com

Tom

18. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the list still open? I am just moving up to larger format (5x4) and this would be a tremendous opportunity learn from experienced users.

thanks

Lee

19. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anything come of this?

If this is up and running, or has the potential too, I'd like to join in? Please let us know what is happening Paul - and I might even buy the 90 from you :smile:.

All the best

Carl

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a lot of us out there, in the UK.

Met with two this last week (one from this forum the other was a chance meeting) and also had the pleasure of allowing my 19yr old niece the use of my 5"x4" camera to make her first B&W/LF images.

My niece was quite amazed how many people came up & told us they'd used LF in the past, and how knowledgeable they were. She was chuffed to be called "The Apprentice" when we stumbled ito a pub full with a BBC camera crew working on location.

21. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've a 4 year old apprentice god-son...

he uses Ribena disposables at the moment - start em young :smile: It'd be good to get a group together as Paul has suggested but this thread seems to have petered out somewhat and I was trying to revive it! That said it might be in full swing already.

All the best, Carl

22. paul owen

paul owen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi to everyone! I am somewhat to blame for this idea "petering out"! Last year was a bit of a bummer for me! :smile: But, thankfully things are very much on the up and it might be a good time to put out another "call to arms"? How about an informal get together within the next few weeks - anywhere central to us all! Does anyone have any suggestions as to a photogenic location which is central? An idea might be for any interested parties to respond to this posting and also confirm available dates, where they will travel from and how far they are happy to travel for (say) a weekend get together? I will be happy to search out accommodation options (unless someone more local /who knows the area where we go has better ideas!)To start, I'll be travelling from South Wales and would be "comfortable" travelling as far north as the Lake District and anywhere south of Wales until I hit the English Channel!! But a gathering in the Channel Islands sounds good for later this year - Nick?? I'm okay most weekends (with notice!) Anyone interested?

23. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From Glasgow...

so down to the lakes or Dales or Moors is good for me. We often travel down to Gloucester and my folks live in Broadstairs so trips can be arranged around this too.

All the best, Carl

24. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested to join you. I'm in the south east and would go up to the Lakes/Moors or anywhere westwards. My lf experience is only about 20 sheets (including disasters :rolleyes: ). Most weekends are free, but a weeks notice would help.

Peter

25. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. msrdsdr

msrdsdr Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Please count me in: daveonthehop@hotmail.com. I'm a struggling newby with an oldby (MPP MK VII) and sagging shoulders. Cheers, Dave