CAlling everyone from the UK, is this real??

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Gay Larson, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got this e-mail and wondered if this a real gallery and is there a catch??? I 'm always skeptical of anything in my e-mail.

"Dear Gay,

My name is Siobhan and I am contacting you from the Saatchi Gallery here in London.
    Whilst searching the web I came upon your site and was impressed by the high standard of work.

I would like to tell you about a new development here at the Saatchi Gallery. We have created a new resource entitled "Your Gallery" that allows artists to post their work and information on The Saatchi Gallery site. You have your own page which you can update as much as you wish. You can post up to eight images, biographical information, information about your art, as well as your contact details and website address. This is not a transaction site and there is no fee, we have created this to assist artists in raising their profiles.

Curators, collectors as well as the thousands of visitors we get everyday have the opportunity to view your work.
    I would like to invite you to post your work onto the site. If you are interested please visit: http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/ or e-mail me siobhan@saatchigallery.com for more information.

With kindest regards,
    Siobhan
    Saatchi Gallery
    http://www.saatchigallery.com

2. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Gay,

I received an email like that also, the gallery in question is a 20 year old one in London and as far as I know, with good reputation!

Cheers

André

3. percepts

percepts Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    its a real gallery alright. Saatchi is one of the big modern art collectors famous for taking work from complete unknowns and making them massive. And anyone can post work at their site. But every art student in the country is trying to get their work taken up by Saatchi. If you have received a personal request for submission of work I would be surprised since they will be receiving so many unsolicited submission pieces. It is far more likely a targetted mailing but there's no harm in following up anyway. Email the woman and ask for more information.

4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A whois domain check says they are the real email and website addresses of the Saatchi Gallery in Eaton Square. Do not be worried about the different domain names in the email address Vs the website address (I was when I saw it!) - they own both domains.

However: I think this is mainly spam: anyone can upload 6 items of their work to their online gallery - you do not need their permission.

Cheers, Bob.

5. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have received a few requests from this gallery and have not responded. I am always suspicious of unsolicited requests.

Cheers,
    Bill

6. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had several too - after the third, I sent a reply asking if this was spam, and siobhan replied to say it wasnt ... however, it's not an invite to submit to the saatchi collection, but to upload some pics onto their website, which anyone can do at any time. The selling point is that Saatchi reckon lots of important people will be viewing the galleries there - a point to wich I am sceptical as there will be a lot of dross for them to wade through if they are searching for new talent.

7. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mm weird because i've got also the mail from this gallery. I was worried because I think my work is not of that high standard a gallery would look for. someting in me say's "watch out" but why i just don't know.

8. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems they might have been trolling the APUG site for web page references and emailing SPAM to each one. Sean should be made aware.

Phill

9. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh, rats. And here I thought I was something special and that fame and fortune would soon follow. I, too, was skeptical and my web research pretty much confirms what everyone else has found. I might upload some photos on a lark, just because. With 15,000 artists on the site getting any attention at all would be a near miracle.

There is one good thing accomplished from this exercise. I did learn the correct pronunciation of Siobahn. Not a name we see very often in the Southeastern US.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a name we hear much in the UK either and some of us still can't quite work out how it gets its pronunciation! Or is it just me?

Steve.

11. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It's pronounced "Sha-vawn"

Phill

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know it is.... I just don't know why it is!!

Steve.

13. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's pronounced that way because it is an Irish Gaelic name.

Any Gaeilge speakers in da house?

Cheers, Bob.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've always thought it was a quite common name ....

16. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, I've known several Siobhans. Quite a popular Irish name. Perhaps the Siobhans don't get down to the Isle of Wight much and prefer to stay in London? :tongue:

17. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're not kidding. To print the names of the A's and B's there would take thirty-one (31) pages of A4.

Somehow, I share your scepticism. I would think that 'important people' will probably have other things to do with their time...!

18. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Niamh is even worse. It's pronounced "Neeve". My name is the anglicized version of Toirdhealbhaigh, which is, obviously, pronounced "Torlock". Gaelic (or Irish to the Irish) pronunciation is different, to say the least.

19. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Other photographers have pages there. Paul Wainwright of New Hampshire is pictured.

20. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I tried to upload some prints and all that happened is I got my name, website, e-mail in and hit enter too soon so that's all that's in there. Couldn't find a way to correct it and got frustrated and gave up. Oh well, no one will notice anyway.

21. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Being a glutton for punishment I uploaded a picture to the site, and know have a thumb nail on display; unfortunately I am in direct competition with my name sake who appears to be able to paint somewhat better than I can print.:sad:

22. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    no one can paint better than you print, Dave!

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I guess it makes as much sense as the pronunciation for "colonel".:D

Matt

24. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

:surprised: If only that were true, but a nice compliment just the same; thanks.

25. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too uploaded an image after getting the email. So far I do not see any harm in it. Looks as if they're trying for the "MySpace" of art sites.

B.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  26. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Irish language pronounciation of Teletubbies is guess what? Teletubbies! Crack is mispelt "craic." They make it up as they go along!