Calumet 4x5 for wet plates

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by krisb1981, Apr 17, 2013.

1. krisb1981

krisb1981 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I would like to start getting some stuff together for wet plate process. For starters I would like to get a camera, something not too expensive, so I was thinking about Calumet single rail 4x5 cameras. Problem is I dont know if I can get a 4x5 we plate holder that will fit this camera and I dont know if I can just use any ole brass barrel lens with it. Any thoughts here?. I dont want to spend more than 400 on the camera, lens and holder in 4x5.

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Fourtoes

Fourtoes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have a look for an MPP plate holder. These are for 5x4 cameras. Maybe more common in the UK.

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Also, another suggestion: Don't spend any reasonable amount of money on the camera itself. It's just a box and in the end, especially just starting wetplate, you'll most likely get it stained and gummed up.

An easy holder is to purchase one of the Grafmatic backs, insert two pieces of wood to act as spacers, glue em in place, and viola! Easy to load and unload holder!