Calumet C1 question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shawn Dougherty, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I own a C1 and am having problems with my 8x10 back leaking a bit of light around the film holder. My model has a bit of felt on the fixed section of the back that the film holder rests against. It looks like this felt was added to the camera. My 4x5 back for this camera is similar, has no felt and doesn't leak.

My question: Is the 8x10 back supposed to have felt or should the film holder sit against the metal?

Thanks. Shawn

2. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are putting it in on the wrong side. I did the same thing with my c1.

3. Alan Davenport

Alan Davenport Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Shawn,

I too have a C-1. Mine has a thin layer of felt in a recessed grove that runs the perimeter of the back. I've never experienced a problem. The felt is thin and does not protrude above the surface of the back. However, I have a B&J 5x7 which has no felt strip and I have never had an problem with it either.

Alan

4. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Don't feel bad. Me too. Took me two sessions and ten sheets of HP5 to figure this out.
    Nea

5. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm not sure I understand... Do you mean the felt should be on the part of the back with the glass? The groove should be empty and the felt should touch the back of the filmholder? Thanks. Shawn

6. bob01721

bob01721 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm. I have a B&J 4x5 that does have felt in the recessed grooves you described for your C-1. The grooves (and felt) are on the back section with the GG.

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll take a look at my C1 when I get home, but I don't recall it having any felt on the 8x10 back anywhere.

8. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, it does have felt. I think maybe some are thinking you are inserting the film holder from the wrong end, and that the ridge of the film holder is not seating in the slot?

Jon

9. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everybody.

No, I am not inserting the film holder incorrectly. The ridge on the film holder fits nicely into the slot, it's actually the other end where I am having the light problem. I was trying to find a consensus reguarding felt or no felt... I'm thinking of removing the felt entirely and exposing a few sheets. Any further recomendations are appreciated. Thanks. Shawn

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  10. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should be able to test for leaks with a bright flashlight inside the camera in the darkroom. Save the film.

11. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This is exactly how I discovered my error and leak. I put a film holder in as I normally did, made the room dark, removed the lens, stuck a flashlight inside the camera and saw quite clearly where the light was. Sticking the film holder in the other way fixed the problem right away. In any event, this method would show where the leak was.
    Neal

12. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've removed all felt from the back, inserted a film holder and checked it with a flashlight. I still have light leaks at the bottom corners of the back... Any suggestions besides buying a new back? Is their another material I could glue in the groves or a special felt I should be using? I can't wait to start shooting again. Thanks. Shawn

13. Jim Galvin

Jim Galvin Member

I recently got a C1. It had thick felt in the groove, thick enough that the holder and GG frame were held away from the metal. The felt at the hinge end of the holder had been mashed crooked, holding the GG and holder at an angle. Since the holder and frame are shaped differently, the angle they were held away from the metal was different. So the focus was different. And the holder was at angle enough to let light in along the sides. Maybe why the seller got rid of the camera. I removed the felt and put in strips of black velvet. The velvet is just thick enough so that the fibers stick above the plane of the metal, but thin enough so that the holder and GG frame push the fibers down and the holder and GG frame contact the metal. I used black silicone to glue the velvet in. I masked the edge of the groove with masking tape so the silicone didn't get all over, used a little brush to put silicone in the groove, and also on the back of the velvet strips. Set the strips in place and held it with a holder till it cured. I cut a step in the strip ends so they interlock, stopping any light trying to get in at the corners. I also put a narrow strip at the bottom of the groove the holder ridge fits in, that might not be neccessary. I thought of using double sticky tape (permenance?) or contact cement (hard to reposition). Don't use silicone if you want to do any painting, a trace of silicone prevents paint from sticking.

14. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good idea Jim. I have a green C-1 and no trouble yet with light leaks. My 8X10 back looks good but I will check the 5X7 and 4X5 backs. I guess this would definitely mess up the focus..

--John