Calumet CC-402 "extension box?"

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kekhotep, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I won a CC-402 for architectural use. A guy was selling online wrote that he used an "extension box" so that he could use longer lenses. Is anyone familiar with that? I ask because I may want to take an occasional portrait.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since toe bellows are short for using short focal length (wide angle)lenses, you must add bellows to focus longer focal length lenses. If you are trying to use a 300mm lens on it you may run out of bellows extension before you achieve focus, especially if your subject is closer than infinity. I use a CC-400 and CC-401 with a recessed lens board for architecture, and do not have problems focusing on anything close as I have plenty of bellows travel, especially with the 401(22 inch bellows). You shouldn't have any problems using a 150mm lens for portraits with the 402. I read that someone uses a recessed lens board reversed (extension outward instead of inward)for longer lenses.

Congrats on the CC-402, its supposed to be a good camera. It uses softer bellows material than the 400 and 401 models for allowing decent movements with the shorter bellows draw.

3. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you for your reply Rick. I was wondering if a recessed board could be flipped and used. [video=youtube;9xYWehyfFcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xYWehyfFcM[/video]

4. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have the wide angle Calumet, it can handle a 190mm to around 15 feet. That info is no help to you. Reversing a board won't work if it's a Calumet because of the lip around the standard board. In any case you can buy a standard or long rail model for well under $100. That's what I did. I have a Long Rail model (26") that I cut down to 20" Plenty long enough for still life or portrait. Making up a woodboard with a tophat is not worth the trouble with the prices on e-bay.

5. Kekhotep

Kekhotep Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi, Thank you sir.

You're saying just with a longer monorail I can use a longer focal length lens, i.e. 190mm? Or, will I need to have a substitute bellows?

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You cannot change the bellows on the old Calumets. Well, you could, but its a major teardown.