Calypso Imaging

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by roteague, Mar 14, 2005.

1. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A few weeks ago, someone on the forum (I forgot who) mentioned Calypso Imaging in Santa Clara, CA. I am considering sending them a batch of Velvia to be processed. I would like to know if anyone has used them for processing E6 and whether they are a good company to do business with. I am concerned because their price is so much better than others in the industry; I just found out that Chromacolor, who I had been using is no longer in business.

Thanks in advance,

2. mark

mark Member

I'm the one who mentioned them. They are a great bunch to work with and their work has been great thus far. Unless you have an order that goes above a certain amount their shipping can be painful. Unless I need something right away I save up my stuff so it exceeds the amount and then shipping is free.

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Mark. I thought you did, but I can't keep up with everything that is said. I downloaded their order form after you mentioned them, but didn't order. I've got 120 sheets ready to go, I was just concerned how they could offer good service at such a low cost; I was paying $2.30 at Chromacolor.

4. brent8927

brent8927 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I get my film developed at Calypso too. I have never had any problems developing my film there. Honestly the reason I develop my film (mostly E6, but I used to shoot c41 and get it developed there) is they're so close, only about 5 mintues away from where I go to school.

Brent

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys. I was put off by their pricing, you know "if it sounds to good to be true, it must be". It is half what I was paying. I will be sending them an order shortly.

6. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

Just wanted to let you know, I will be offering E6 4 x 5 processing in about two weeks, and will be at or below what you were paying your previous company.

If of interest, drop a note, or we can talk about it in the chat room.

Dave

7. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Calypso is down the block from where I'm typing this. I use them all the time for e6 i think they have stopped running c41.

8. kswatapug

kswatapug Advertiser

I've used them for E-6 processing and Lightjet printing for years, and have continued to use them even after moving to Idaho. The prices may not seem real, but they are. Same level of service as the higher priced labs. By batching film orders, the shipping becomes negligible.

9. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Calypso as well.

They are very cool, as well as being good. I really like working with the people there.

Take note of their 2-tier price system. If you are fine art or landscape, you pay less than commercial customers.

Matt

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Matt. Their pricing was one of the reasons I was confused/concerned. I've never run across any pricing like that before. Being a landscape guy, I'm not going to complain!!

11. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was at Calypso, I asked if pictures of my kid count for the discount. After all, they aren't commercial. The guy at the desk smiled and said, "Make sure there is some landscape behind him in some of the pictures".

I have gone in there with negatives of my kid to print. At the same time, they have had people picking up or dropping off major commercial orders. They never made me feel like I was taking too much of their time. Neither did the other customers. I really like them.

If they were open Saturday, I would love them!

Matt

12. Joseph Levine

Joseph Levine Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Greetings,

I own Calypso Imaging and the reason for our low prices are three fold:
    1. Our Refrema Olympic dip & dunk E-6 processor is paid for.
    2. As the film market shrinks we want to attract a steady volume of work all the way up until the time film vanishes.
    3. We specialize in the Nature, Fine Art, Landscape and Travel markets. These folks still shoot mostly film which ties into our drum scanning, Lightjet and giclée printing services.

I will be glad to process & ship you a free roll or sheet of E-6 if you will send it to my attention.

We continue to process C-41 and our lowest film pricing is now availible as 24hour E-6 to any and all clients.

Regards,

Joe levine
    President
    Calypso Imaging, Inc.
    2002 Martin Ave.
    Santa Clara, CA. 95050
    408/727-2318
    customerservice@calypsoinc.com
    www.calypsoinc.com

13. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch! "film vanishes" is not a phrase APUG wants to hear!

Thanks for the post--as I noted before, I really like your company. Good quality, great people.

Matt

14. mark

mark Member

I love your work Joe. Welcome to Apug. Stick around. Except for the recent sillyness this is a nice place to be.

15. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Joe,

I sent you an order of 120 sheets of Velvia last week to process, all based upon the responses on this thread. These are all people that I respect and they all say good things about Calypso. I'm looking forward to working with a company that won't disappear, like Chromacolor in San Diego did (where I used to send all my work). I live in Hawaii and there is no one here that processes large format E6 (not sure if I can even get 35mm E6 done here anymore).

Thanks, and welcome to APUG!!

16. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just wanted to follow up on this - I just received my first order back from Calypso and I want to thank everyone who responded. Their service was great, and the quality of their developing first-rate. I will be using them again, I just wish I had found them a long time ago.