Cambo 8x10 monorail more to my liking?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JohnRichard, Sep 24, 2009.

1. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So I think I have decided I don't like my D2. I don't know.... there is something about it that is just.... well, it damages my calm.

It could just be the not so well working carriers. I mean, I guess the camera works ok, but those damn film carriers are... damaging my calm.

I am wondering if I should just get rid of the whole thing. I was examining a Cambo monorail, and it looked like something I would like better than a flatbed.

I mean, I LOVE wood, but after a while, when it's not taken care of, it just doesn't work. I have this great old tripod, all wood and wingnuts. It works most of the time, but the second extension just does not work anymore.

How do you all feel about the Cambo? Or, other recommendations?

Thoughts?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The cambo is a beast. Good, but a beast. And the controls are a bit rudimentary. Given the giveaway prices, I'd have a look at a sinar or such.

N.b. I have an older model cambo 8x10. A friend has a newer version of the same camera and the controls on his are a bit better but still not exactly thrilling to use.

3. goldenimage

goldenimage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a cambo legend 8x10, weighs in at about 26 pounds

4. greybeard

greybeard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    i have a cambo legend 8x10, weighs in at about 26 pounds

Yup. But the controls on the one I have work just fine; was there a Cambo 8x10 on the SC platform (square rail, pretty light construction)? The 4x5 Legend is good, but the 4x5 SC is sort of minimalist, in my opinion.

5. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes.
    Regards
    Bill

6. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had a cambo 8X10 legend...Yes, It is a beast!!!! add a modern 360mm lens and you better get a camera dolly to roll it around on.

It was a nice, well-built camera, but storing it then setting it up and hoping it didn't snap the tripod head and plummet to the ground always made me intimidated.

I sold it to a guy who was going to take it to Yosemite...never heard from him again...LOL!!

If you can stand it though, there are plenty out there to choose from and they're relatively inexpensive on the used market.

I have recently gotten a pre-WW2 Agfa-ansco, which for some reason is more comfortable for me...to each his own though.

7. nana sousa dias

nana sousa dias Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Cambo Legend 8x10. It's very heavy, indeed. I used it at the field twice!
    Then, I bought a Kodak 2D. Very limited movements, but, I can carry it...

The Cambo is now used only at my studio, for portrait.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wasn't so [physically] aware of the heft of my cambo 8x10 until I scored an 8x10 poco.. you don't even want to know how light that thing is! I then started to question the necessity of each and every standard movement on my cambo and, as a consequence, it is now on the shelf :wink: Fine camera though. Can't believe how many times I lugged it outdoors.