Camera Bag

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Peter De Smidt, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the moment I have a Billingham camera bag, the F4.5. I like the design, but it's just a little small. I'd like to fit an SLR, a wide zoom, a "vacation" zoom, a 50mm prime, a 20mm prime, a flash, and odds and ends in the bag. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good medium sized bag?

2. kaiyen

kaiyen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What type of bag? Messenger style? Reporter style? Sling?

allan

3. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the large Roots photo backpack. It fits my RB67 with a 90 or 150 lens attached, and a 250 in the bottom. Also holds all my filters, light meter, a spare film back, 2 spots for film (8 rolls of 120 each), and a prism. Then I have all the extra pockets on the sides and the front.
    2 complaints. Does not hold my tripod, and the shoulder straps are limited in the adjustments.

4. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kevin Saitta, one of Apug's sponsors, makes camera bags to your specifications.

5. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My current bag is about 13 inches long, 7 inches wide. an 7.5 inches tall. It has a canvas should strap. There's a top flap which closes with two leather straps. Inside there are four padded dividers. I like this bag a lot, although as I said, it's a little small, especially since I just ordered two moderately sized zooms. I doubt that a custom bag would be cost effective, especially since I could sew one myself, if I really wanted to. Or I could modify a tool bag that I have, which is much more rugged than any camera bag I've seen, and it cost 20 bucks. The only downside is that it doesn't have dividers inside.

6. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Lowe Pro Rover AW.
    At this time it holds.
    F90X+ MB10 and FE2+MB12
    20mm, 50mm, 85mm(1,4 with hood atached) and 180mm.
    PK13 and TC201.
    SB28 in small bag that can be taken out and atached to waistbelt.
    Pentax 6X7 with 75mm f/4,5 atached.
    45mm.
    Set of extension tubes.
    Sekonic 308 Lightmeter.
    2 cable releases.
    Lens cleaning tissues and blowerbrush.
    Pencil and notebook.
    BUT NO ROOM FOR FILM :smile:
    Not recommended though because its to heavy for the harness tobe comfortable.
    I am not really satisfied with this back because its to soft and to short for my back.
    I am currently looking for a bigger backpack suitable for the heavier load I am carrying more often now.
    If you are carrying light and are not to tall (I'm 185cm) it may be worth a look.
    Cheers, Søren

7. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really like my Domke F-2. Fits two bodies, 3 lens and a flash no sweat, with room left over for film, filters, etc.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Peter, if you like the quality of your Billingham bag you could look at some of the bigger bags in their range, I use a 335 in Cordura and find that after many years of constant use as a medium size bag for 35mm gear I find it ideal, it is very easy to "work out of " when it's over your shoulder when you're on the move because the mouth of the bag folds back and will stay open. I have five bags of various types and sizes, but this is the one I use the most.

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have had a Lowepro Nova 5 for about 6 years now. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking. It is really configurable on the inside, so much that I can completely re-adapt it for whatever sort of shooting I am doing.

Right now, the inside is set up to hold a Canon A-1 with zoom, several prime lenses, my Yashicamat 124, a mess of Cokin A + P BW filters & holders, three Fidelity 4x5 holders, an additional lens/board for the Graflex, and film.

This still leaves the front pocket with meters and everything, as well as side pockets, top flap for cable releases, and a back pocket for reference literature, grey card, etcetera.

Sometimes I configure the velcro parts inside for two SLR's with a digital, all large format, or all medium format; this still leaves room for the flash, grip, and bounce. The price is right too...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  10. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm a little leary of photo back packs, as they often seem to be overly expensive and poorly made. (For large format work, I strap a lightware case to a kelty backpacking frame.) In this case, though, I want to travel light, as this is going to be my "take everywhere" setup.

I do like my Billingham bag, and I'd get another if I could get one at a reasonable price. I bought my original one on super closeout. Even then it was pricey.

I'll certainly look into the various suggestions.

11. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the Billingham bags a lot. They're better made than any other canvas bag I've ever owned (including original Leica bags and various Domke's). I would check into a larger Billingham. Alternately, I also like Lowe-pro and F64 bags in nylon. I think I was a charter member of the Bag-A-Month Club for a while and I ended up with a closet-full of camera bags.

12. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Domke too..... Not sure which one it is, but I can carry a TLR and a 35mm.... 2 lenses, meter, flash and film.... Its black canvas and doesn't scream "camera bag".......

13. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Lowe-Pro Nova 4 that I bought a few years ago. It's nice and small and yet holds a surprising amount of gear.

To give you an idea, in mine I have a pair of FEs (one with an MD-12 motor drive), a 28, a 50, an 80-200, a 16 fisheye, and a small flash.

I think it might be a good bag for you. It's very basic-looking (which I like) and it's a great size and weight to take when I go hiking (especially if I leave the MD-12 in the car).

14. blanco_y_negro

blanco_y_negro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In terms of size you may want to check out Tenba P859. Over the years I have used nothing but Tenba, and I'm very happy with the quality of their products. I bought my first Tenba bag in 1981, and it served me 25 years (it wasn't my best taken care of piece in my photo gear). Finally I bought the P859 a few weeks ago, and it looks like I'll get another 20+ years out of that one too. Last year I bought a Tenba baclpack for my LF camera, and it really is tough.

The P859 comes with dividers, which can be taken out. In that case the bag is lighter and it's more like a canvas bag. Even without the internal padding it still has protective walls.

Tenba isn't the cheapest you can find for your gear, but it is top quality stuff. I hope this helps.