Camera cover or case WHILE shooting? Lenscoat Bodyguard? Anybody using it?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by haring, Jun 2, 2013.

1. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anybody use Lenscoat Bodyguard?

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/LensCoat-LCBGP...uard®+Pro

I am looking for a solution to protect my cameras while we are shooting a wedding with my wife. I would love to keep the lens cover on the camera. I am not really interested in lens covers which protects photography gear in your bag.

What do you recommend?

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amazon link not working for me.

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lenscoat web site seems to say that those coats are to protect the camera while temporarily stowed -- look like a glove for the body with the lens poking out.

Not sure this would be useful for a wedding photgrapher -- don't you need to have the camera available fairly quickly in those places? This coat looks like an interesting variation on the classic "never-ready" case, cause of fumbling and anger when you need the camera quickly.

What's the big hazard to your gear shooting a wedding -- spraying champaigne? Tossed flowers?:whistling:

http://www.lenscoat.com/bodyguard®-pro-p-680.html?osCsid=cd838cebfc099a9ce4320041300ee2e7

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Useless for weddings, because you can't open the camera back to load and remove films quickly.

5. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I can see it now. I thought they make them for all cameras not only digital... :sad:

7. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love this!!! LOL

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess it's time for Sean to chose a epigram for Apug again.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I told my son who's a bass player about "my pictures are better than they look", he was very amused and said the next time goes to an audition he's going to tell the producer his playing is a lot better than it sounds :smile:

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ridiculous.

11. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd have though that generally speaking it was the camera body that was capable of taking the harder knocks and it was the lens that needed protection, so I'd put that product into the 'another stupid thing to sell to photographers' folder.

But given the price of film bodies nowadays, and you had a cherished body you didn't want the usual wedding detritus on (champagne, cake, cigarette stubs and sick), wouldn't it just be easier to buy another body, or upgrade if your camera system does a more weatherproof body? For instance Nikon F will take all the abuse in the world and is capable of a delivering a knockout blow in the post wedding fight between the warring parties. Or an Olympus OM4 will not only shrug off a bottle of beer but could probably be used as the bottle opener.

I am unclear though if at the wedding in question it is your wife getting married, or somebody else?

:D
    Steve

12. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO, the recipie for getting good people shots is; actively looking for/hunting for/creating the right situation, moving quickly to the right vantage point, and then timing the shots.

My thought is that if you are putting your camera in something that's going to slow down that process, you may as well put it away and just enjoy the conversation until you are ready to pay attention to shooting again.

13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I often rely on a lens hood to protect the glass, but never anything over the body. Decades ago camera cases were nearly necessary for those cameras that had no other way of attaching a carrying strap, such as the Argus C3 and the Mercury II. That folly has long been corrected.

14. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm