Camera for a Kid - Nikon L35AF

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by CuS, Aug 24, 2009.

1. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am desperately trying to get my kids bitten by teh shutter bug (the film shutterbug).

I presented my 12-year old with a AE-1 and 50/1.8 (both with thier own SN-matches original packaging) and also want to get my soon-to-be 8-year old a film camera too.

To that end, I procurred a very nice and fully functional Nikon L35AF (cute little thing). Its got autofocus, flash, exposure compensation and manuall ISO setting of 50 to 1000. Its lens is also supposed to be good performer.

Its far more automatic than I would like, but I don't want to over-burden him with too many complications just yet.

Any opinions on my choice?

Cheers!

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No opinions but you have just reminded me that I also have a Nikon L35AF which I had forgotten about. I haven't even put a roll of film through it yet!

Steve.

3. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Too funny - I am going to have to take it out foir a walk before I gift it.

Just to test it out, just to make sure.

wink, wink.

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great little camera.Bit of a battery eater under low light,but more fun that a sack full of monkies.

Mike

5. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had heard it was batter hungry - guess i'll just keep a cache of AAs handy.

Thanks!

6. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone every used one on a regular basis - any other issues to be aware of?

7. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently acquired a Nikon Action Touch, which is as I understand it, essentially a waterproof version of the L35AF. Only on my second roll of film, but it's been a very reliable sidekick including four shots immersed in water.

Coincidentally, my nephew is turning 9 and I wanted to try to get him an Action Touch of his own, but I'm low on time and not sure if I'm going to be able to manage it. I think the full automation is actually a good thing for a kid of that age. We do want to be encouraging, not discouraging.

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea,some basic instruction and lots of film (I'd look for discount or expired stuff).

9. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Well mine is similar L35AD and a good P&S..... and the lens? in my test just under an excellent SLR lens. Got mine for 50p at a boot sale (all metal one) but have seen plastic ones going for £1.
    In the original file I can just read the plaque when enlarged:-

Nikon L35AD
    http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/img344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  10. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is a sweet shot! Thanks! I'll post some of my kids' first film shots

11. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The L35AF is all you need. I brought it to camp where we teach a photography class to students age 8 to 14. It quickly became known as "the good camera" because it just takes pictures. Rather than feebly trying to describe the inner workings of a K1000 and the inter-relationships of depth of field to aperture to shutter speed to 10 year olds and coming back with half of the pictures under-exposed and the other half over, we went out and took pictures. The camera worked, the kids were happy, and we achieved a state of utter happiness. There's a certain point where automation is perfection. If you want to teach your son control, use a view camera. I also suggest a camera like the N80 because it works manually but provides autofocus when you just don't care anymore. IMHO wasting your time trying to set everything manually is useless in a world when we have Program Auto, Exposure Compensation, and can rotate through selected pairs of values with a thumb wheel. You miss good pictures if you're distracted, much like the LCD of a digital camera.

Mine ran on the same set of AAs for a few months. I guess I shoot most of my pictures without flash outside, and I don't take very many...

AFAIK the lens is sharp and has slight falloff.

12. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Great little camera. Nikon has a story about the development of the lens, which is actually a very short Sonnar design, very unique. http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n33_e.htm
    I got one for my 2 year old, he shot a bit with it and it was a 'drag toy' for a while, still works well but is a bit beat on the plastic, its a strong little camera. Great lens.

13. Gregg_f

Gregg_f Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just got the 1st roll developed from one i bought off eBay cheaply, i was convinced it wasn't working properly but on getting the film back i was very surprised by the results, best couple of quid I've spent in a long time

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  16. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One more question - what do you do for teh dodgey battery door which seems to have a mind of its own - loves to pop open.

17. flynnbrown

flynnbrown Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all!
    I have just joined this nice forum here. And would appreciate y'all's advise, if possible.

Earlier this afternoon...about half an hour ago...I bought a Nikon L35 AF on E-bay...for about eight pounds sterling.

I have read about it over the past fortnight and thought it is a good camera. I am not a professional photographer. (A childhood hobby of mine. Along with an intense interest in Astronomy.)

Fundamentally, I've bought this camera for my baby, who has just turned eight.
    When he was about four, three and half really, I bought him an auto winding/focusing point/shoot, easy-to-use 35 mil camera at a school fete. He had lots of fun with it. So did I enjoy his shooting.

He has a digital (a Sony model) we got him for Christmas...but I'd like him to use a film camera. So I'm going to surprise with this, as a present.

He is old enough to understand, not to open the back and take the film out! :D ...(like Ol' James Bond)

As I've yet to receive the camera...I was wondering what your experiences, generally, are with it.

I've got a few other cameras...none is digital...which are obviously bulky for him to use casually. We'll have to wait a few more years.

In the meantime...about my latest 'investment' I would appreciate any feedback.

best regards
    mahesh

(Flynn is my baby's name, I used as my username...because 'mahesh' is already taken at this forum. I wonder if that really is me or someone else.)

18. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I have the L35AD, which features a data back (though I never use it.) It has a nice 2.8 Nikon lens- not Nikkor, but who cares since it takes nice pictures?

I picked mine up from a junk table for $10. AA batteries are plentiful at $1 shops so I don't mind.

The only thing I don't like about it is its noisy operation- the loud shutter and advance. A stealth camera it is not. Other than that however, it's quite nice. One can't complain for $10 :wink:

19. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Looking good.........in fact I've picked up about 5 P&S from Canon to Minolta inc the Nikon for £1 each....and all the lenses are very good.
    I bought an Olympus 105g off ebay with a zoom lens and it was crap...so my advice to anyone getting a film P&S is to get a fixed lens one.

My latest gamble for £1 was this Minolta AFZ and it all worked, so another P&S with VG lens for my wife (if she wants it) without saying "Oh no not another bloody camera"
    http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...rev=/search?q=minolta+afz&hl=en&sa=N&start=20

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  20. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These things are gems!

I'll stack 'em up to a $200 Yashica T4 any old day!

I gave up the L35AF for a couple of AW35AF's (Action Touch) and they're the only 35mm cameras I own now. Weather/underwater proof and sharp and contrasty as a tack. Faster than I can determine focus and exposure to boot!

Jo

21. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ***I'll stack 'em up to a $200 Yashica T4 any old day!***

..and a T4 is better than a $200 s/h digital P&S. I'm a film guy but I'd prefer the digital for that sort of money. In fact that's what I have:- an old 5mp sony which you can pick up cheap these days:-

Sony DSC-P92 click again to enlarge more
    http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/tylernov2005002.jpg

Can a T4 balance ambient light with flash?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  22. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used an L35AF for my entire trip this summer when my Minolta SLR went belly-up the first day out. I used Elite Chrome 100 & 200, and most of the shots turned out sharp and exposed much better than I would have expected. In fact, when that camera died last week , I went out and bought myself another one. It has become my go to camera for quick shots or places where an SLR won't work.

23. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I played with an L35AF for a little while. Got it out of the $1 bargain bin at a local camera shop, because it looked like a dinosaur of the 80's and had a busted battery lid. I wrapped the battery lid with gaffer tape, and went shooting! The lens is sharp and amazing. Considering the original price of this little monster, I'm sure Nikon put their latest matrix metering and AF logic in it as well. The metering was just as good as my Nikon F80.

I ended up passing the camera along to fellow enthusiast, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull another one out of the bargain bin if I see it again.

24. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I started my son with an old Zeiss Tengor 6x9 box camera when he was 6 year old. He liked it, but he complained that his photos were not as sharp as mine. So now he uses a Nikon SLR.

25. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just bought a Yashica T5d with zeiss lens for £1.50 at the bootie....seems a sort after camera as it's going for up to £50 on ebay, well I'll run a film thru and see what the lens is like compared to the Nikon L35AD.

26. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the T5...

still a 35mm f3.5? Or is that one of the zoom T*s? Either way, for $3+ you're WAY ahead of the game!