Camera+Hiking Backpack for RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Joachim Zettl, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Joachim Zettl

Joachim Zettl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd love to take my RB67 with me to the mountains but I don't want to carry two bags with me. Maybe you know the problem.
    I am looking for backpacks where I can put my camera on top (so I can easily get to it) and have other stuff on the bottom.

Other suggestions are also welcome?

2. wy2l

wy2l Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After backpacking repeadedily in the High Sierra for 10 days with a Pentax 67, couple of lenses, and a tripod, I have come to the following conclusions:

a) I must either get in better shape or drastically reduce the camera equipment weight.
    b) I have serriously considered using pack animals or hiring porters to carry the camera equipment.
    c) Anyway you rearrange the equipment, no matter what pack you use, it's the same weight and pain.

3. Joachim Zettl

Joachim Zettl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was more thinking of one day trips, rather than carriing a tent, kitchen, bed and a camera with me. ;-)

4. DannL.

DannL. Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think any back-pack with an aluminum frame support would suffice. I see them at thrift stores all the time. As long as there's room in the pack for cans of Van Camp's Beanie Weenies and tins of Kippered Herring, it should work. :munch:

On eBay they call them External Frame Packs, I believe.

5. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't it a good rule of (packing for) backpacking that you put heavier items at the bottom?

6. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking just what DannL suggested. Look at external frame packs instead of internal frame ones. The internal frame packs end up being narrower and harder to get things in/out of.

Internal frame packs are more common these days, but a good outfitter store should have a fair selection of external frames. Kelty has several lines of external frame packs.

I'd definately recommend finding a local outfitter to go try the pack on. Take the camera with you and let the sales guy know what you intend to do. They are going to look at you like you have two heads for wanting to carry something that heavy, but should be more than willing to help.

7. Joachim Zettl

Joachim Zettl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I absolutely agree. The Austrian in me always smiles when it comes to wiener würstchen, although I don't live in Vienna I like them too with some mustard and a nice cool glass of beer.:D

8. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're using for day trips only then I use a Tamrac Expedition 8x with my RB67 gear. They have the size 6x thru 9x depending upon your needs and physical ability to haul the weight.
    These are camera packs not general backpacks. If you're hauling outdoor gear then you're probably needing more of a backpack.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest you take the gear you intend to carry to a camera store and try it in some backpacks and see if it is comfortable to carry.

10. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Kata R-103. I haven't tried putting the RZ in it yet, but I suspect it should fit. There is also plenty of room for other things including a tripod mount on the outside.

11. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've been doing this kind of thing for decades, mostly with view camera gear, but once in awhile with a 6x7 system. I strongly prefer true external frame packs, and among those, vintage well-built ones, like '60 and '70's US mfg Keltys (not the current outsourced models), or old
    Camp Trails packs. The funny thing is that people will buy something like this and never even use it, and decades later find it in a closet and
    sell it at yard sale for next to nothing. Sometimes the words "vintage pack" will give you a hit on the auction site, but make sure it's a size you can use and in mint shape, cause it's difficult to find replacement straps or backbands for any of this kind of stuff anymore. I gradually picked up enough spare packs to probably last me the duration. The last one I traded a half-empty quart of marine varnish for at a garage sale, and it was probably well over $200 new, way back when, and had never even been used when I got ahold of it. I work out every week
    with heavy packs. But a true frame pack not only gives you top access, but protects the gear in general much better than these overpriced
    silly camera packs with all their redundant heavy foam padding. I typically wraps my camera inside a goosedown jacket. There are side pouches for the lenses. Of course, other people will have relevant differing opinions. But this has worked well for me, even when carrying
    up to hundred pound loads in steep terrain ... But my ultimate goal is to patent a helium-filled bellows... that way, the bigger the camera,
    the lighter it will be !

12. Lench

Lench Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Checked out fstop's bags? They seem expensive but so far I've never heard any real complaints

13. Joachim Zettl

Joachim Zettl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you use one? Which one?

14. Lench

Lench Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will be in a few weeks. Loka + large pro ICU