Camera Show in North Texas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by David Brown, Aug 23, 2005.

1. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Upcoming camera show in Grapevine - Sept. 17 & 18. Although these are not what they used to be (curses to both eBay and digital) :mad: , they can still be interesting. Never know what you'll find.

I have 3 (count'em 3) $1 off coupons. ($4 instead of $5)

I usually go on Saturday (17th). Anybody want to meet me there? :smile: Sunday is not out of the question.

David Brown

2. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hrm... I wonder if I'd find anyone there willing to swap a speed graphic with side rangefinder and a working FP shutter for my recently CLAd crown graphic with top rangefinder? I'd like to eventually acquire an old shutterless portrait lens, and use the FP shutter with it. I expect it would be easier to hand-adjust the side rangefinder than make a custom cam for the top rangefinder.

Either that or a Canon F1n and normal lens... much swapping go on at those things? I've actually never been to one. Been to a gun show. Pretty much the same expect for the merchandise?

-KwM-

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kevin, would you be interested in a 3x4" speed graphic with working FP shutter? The film is a lot cheaper :D

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll go. What time are you planning on heading out there? I need some forewarning as I will have to take that Saturday off.

5. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, Ok!! Now here I am at work :surprised:

And that Saturday is the wife's Birthday :surprised:

And I just bought a 305 mm barrel lens from Sandy and have no play money :surprised:

And need to save $$ for a trip I promised the wife in Oct. :surprised:

So, yeah I can meet you feller's there, I'll be the one that's ducking every 5 minutes..... :wink:

Let me know what time....I'm always there when they open anyway.

6. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike! You're dedicated to the craft! :D

In view of the Mike's wife's birthday and Jeremy's employment, I don't have any trouble with Sunday. I have been know to go both days. Of course, Don (the guy who hosts these) used to have one in Mesquite - 10 minutes from my house! Grapevine is a little further.

Anyway, it's a trade-off. Conventional "wisdom" is that the good stuff goes early, i.e., Saturday morning. BUT, the bargains are Sunday afternoon, since the dealers don't want to haul the stuff home.

We still have a few weeks. We'll see. I'll bump the thread once in a while.

David

PS: for info and your own discount, see http://www.donsphotoequipment.com/

7. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy, I'm taking this tangent into E-Mail. Don't wanna derail the thread.

-KwM-

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
  8. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,

I'm probably a go. Gotta nail down kidcare & such. Dianna's already committed to being chained to a computer for the morning doing an IT evolution at work.

Any chance we can come to a concensus about a common meetup (coffee beforehand?) then an apug decending (decention? decension?) onto the camera show.

Is there a URL you can point us to for the minutea of the event?

-KwM-

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sunday works well for me--no work on that day.

10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahem ...

http://www.donsphotoequipment.com/

No minutea, however. :tongue:

I think coffee/breakfast/brunch (whatever) beforehand would be a great idea! We'll see.

11. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should be good for either day...the wife's a good sport about camera shows..she even went with me to the last one, and we walked out with a nice B&J 5x7.. :smile:

But Sunday sounds like it might be better for everyone. There is always a Cracker Barrel nearby, for coffee breakfast or there is a coffee shop just up the Main St. So let's make a morning of it one way or the other.

12. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bump

Two week warning! Looks like Sunday officially, but Saturday could be talked about ...:wink:

Details TBA

13. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One week away!

Sunday is fine with me. (Saturday would be fine with me also.) The sale opens at 10:00. How does breakfast at 9:00 sound? Now, we need concrete suggestions as to food location! :cool: I've been there a dozen times and still can't picture anything but McDonald's and Wendy's; and I know we can do better than that! :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know David, I'm in the same boat...been there lots of times and really could not tell you where to stop for breakfast :sad:

9:00 am sounds fine to me, do we know how many of us there will be? If any of the North Texas APUG members plan to go and want to join us, let us know and we will try and figure out where will will be meeting up.

16. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    this is the 18th right?

lee\c

17. stark raving

stark raving Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do best at these when I go with nothing particular in mind. If I go seeking something specific, I'm inevitably disappointed. If I go with nothing in mind, I'm sometimes surprised what I find that I "need" :rolleyes:

Jonathan

18. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right!

Sunday, September 18, 2005.

19. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, absolutely right! :wink:

Are you coming down to join us? :smile:

20. stark raving

stark raving Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lovely idea, but I'll pass this time. There's a show in the Philadelphia area in October, and I'm sure I'll be at that one. Like a moth to the flame, y'know...

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of years ago my wife and I went to a camera show and swap in Burnaby (near Vancouver) British Columbia. Its a show put on by the Western Canada Photographic Historical Association, an organization that is as much collector oriented as photography oriented, but the 100 or so tables of stuff, ranging from incredible junk, to interesting finds, is worth visiting.

We were there in the middle of the day, and it was crowded and there was lots to look at.

My wife (whose support is strong, but whose interest in the photography process is mostly of the "point and shoot" variety) looked around the room, and looked at my look of anticipation, and exclaimed:

"you are here, with your people" :smile:

After wandering further for several minutes, and observing the sartorial splendour of the majority of the people there, her next comment was inspired by a recently popular television program, and even more telling:

"no offense, but if ever there was a group who together needed the 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' treatment, it is this one"

In response, I looked around the room, and she was right. We enjoyed ourselves anyways.

In case anyone is interested, this year's show is on October 2, 2005. The website with information is 2005 Vancouver Camera Show

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  22. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (*snicker*)

sounds like the time my wife and I went to the LISA conference in New Orleans. We never saw so many endomorphs in one place. I had to hold the digicam up above my head and get a shot of the crowd -- not unlike that kid's show boobah: http://pbskids.org/boohbah/boohbah.html

-KwM-

23. kwmullet

kwmullet Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey -- should someone who just comes in off the street to this show just expect to be a 'buyer', or can they have a reasonable expectation of being able to swap some gear? As I mentioned above, I've got a 4x5 speed graphic w/135mm that right now I want a lot less than a Canon FD body and fast normal lens. Ideal world, I'd love some variety of F1 (or Ftb or TX) and a 1.8 or better 50mm.

-KwM-

24. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From past experience, there will be dealers there who are buying. But remember, they are paying wholesale, and you are paying retail. It won't be a "swap" among amateur enthusiasts. :surprised:

Still, deals such as what you describe do happen. My advice, bring a little cash ... :wink:

David

25. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, stark raving, if yesterday's Second Sunday show is any indicator, the show in Phila. will be sparsely populated. Few sellers, few buyers. I have the impression that for camera shows the end is nigh.

Texicans, will you please report back on your show after its happened?

26. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure.

As I said earlier in this thread, these shows aren't what they used to be. Locally, we used to have 6 (yes, 6) a year. Two in Dallas, two in Ft. Worth, and two in between. Now we have 2 a year (in between), and they are much smaller! The space is half the size of the ones in the past, and the aisles are wider. :wink:

I've bought lenses, a camera or two, lights, safelights, flashes, a dry mount press, and more "things' than I can remember. But, very little lately. (OK, in all fairness, I am trying to "cut down"!!! :surprised: )

Nothing lasts forever, <sigh> :sad:

David