Cameraleather dot com

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by tim k, Sep 3, 2011.

1. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anybody know anything about them. I placed an order a while back, and now it seems they were hit by the hurricane?

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are a great bunch to deal with. Just email or call to update delivery status. Took me about 2-3 weeks sans hurricaine IIRC.

3. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Camera leather has a very good product, to say the least.
    I ordered a new skin for my Rolleiflex, There were a few emails then a very long wait. I actually had given up at the point the kit arrived.

It fit perfectly.

The next was a kit for my OM-1, I was prepared for a long wait and when it did arrive I was as pleased as I received the kit for the Rollei.

When dealing with Camera Leather be prepared for varying wait times but a very fine product.

4. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, thats reassuring.

Chris, I did e-mail, and thats whats got me a little concerned. About a month or so after the order was placed I thought I should check on it, so far no response, couldn't find a phone number on their site.

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm...I'm still waiting for an order from 2 weeks ago.

6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting site, so many colors of leather. Do it yourselfers should check exotic raw material prices on the bay to compare costs. Cutting is as simple as taking off the old leather carefully and matching, or measure and cutting with tape, or string measure from body. I might do a camera in shagreen (sting ray leather) in the future, when one of leathers starts to crack and peel.

7. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadly, I got you beat by about a month. :confused:

8. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gotta say. I've only dealt with CL once. I think I got great service at three weeks. I'm sure there are horror stories. They are probably far outweighed by the good. Give it time.

9. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I'm not in any kind of a hurry, it would be nice to know if he got my order. I've read the "slow service" thing and was prepared for that.

As per his website, he's flooded by Irene, you just got to cut him some slack. Its not like there is anything I can do but wait anyway.

Just wondering if anybody heard anything about him.

10. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used cameraleather.com for a lot of orders and have always been satisfied. He did respond to an e-mail I sent, I am waiting longer than usual for my latest order and he confirmed what I suspected: he's been cleaning up because of Irene.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
  11. Sonicmook56

Sonicmook56 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've ordered a couple kits from them. From my understanding they cut the kits to order. The kit's I have picked up from them fit perfectly.

12. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear, thanks

13. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For what its worth, I just received my order. It was shipped Saturday and Monday afternoon it was on my door step. I've put a few pieces on, and so far they have fit beautifully and there is an unbelievable difference in the appearance of my old tech 4.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. Patience is a virtue, (or so they tell me)

14. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be looking for mine soon. Thanks for posting that you got yours.

15. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll add my additional support for the awesome support that the fellow at cameraleather dot com gave me. He made exactly sure that I got the color I was looking for, even though it took longer than I expected, and even e-mail response was a bit slow. If I ever need another "skin," that's where I'm turning.

I can only imagine how Irene would have really set him (them?) back.

16. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been very pleased with cameraleather.com. Their service and products are great. My cameras look better too, and are better to hold.

Trond

17. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone dealt with "Aki-Asahi Custom Camera Coverings"? I've used cameraleather.com in the past but they don't make a cover for the Yashica FX-70, but I did find this company. And FWIW cameraleather has always been good to me, just SLOW. :smile:

18. Avispartner

Avispartner Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have, a leatherette for my Zorki 4-K. Excellent fit, looks great. Very fast delivery (only few days from Japan to Switzerland) and I even got an additional leatherette free of charge to practice. Going to place an order for a newly acquired Trip 35.

19. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There has been a fair amount of discussion about their responsiveness on another forum. It seems to be very hit or miss -- some very happy customers and some very upset customers. I think it's a small outfit; only so many orders you can fill and e-mails you can answer in a day. So patience sounds like the best approach. Nothing wrong with their products at all, based on comments I've seen. The website is exemplary -- fun to look through and very informative.

20. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am happy to hear that people have actualy recieved a order.

I tried ordering last year, I paid PAYPAL !!!! I contacted MORGAN at CAMERA LEATHER he told me it had been shiped.

It never arrived, I was away for a period of Six weeks and a my mother in law was colecting the mail for the last week, there was a very slim chance it got lost.

I decided to try again and placed another order.....I waited 5 weeks-> emailed Morgan 3 times !!! no reply !!! so I lodged a paypal claim !!!

Morgan has not at even responded to the Paypal Claim!!!....all I asked for was "Has my order been shipped", Morgan must be a complete idiot, it is very rare that
    a very reasonable customer like me gives someone a second chance to make good.

I would prefer to get my order....this time I may get my money back.

I am a very active Film and camera buyer who spends $$$$$$ every year....Every one else is happy to deal with someone who, Buys and Pays FAST NO problems

My advice so far is "Don't Waste Your Time or Money With This Guy !!!"

Johnkpap

21. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Update with regards to "CameraLeather"

Morgan did not get back to me or Paypal....Paypal has issued me a Refund:smile:

My advice is I you must try ordering from this Idiot -> Pay with PAYPAL wait for order for 30 Days.....If Nothing E-mail him for a week.

Then File a Dispute with PAYPAL before your 45 days runs out.

This way you can not lose your $$$

I would have liked to recieved my order, and not had my time wasted.

Johnkpap

22. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aki Asahi are KINGS!!!

Look at what they have to offer. Great stuff. Better then the originals. Takes 5 days to get to me all the way from Japan. And Cheap.
    I'm on my 6th cover with them. Never a problem. Makes cameraleather a pathetic company next to them.

23. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info NB23

The problem I have is that one of the 7 cameras I need a Leather replacement for is a Yashicamat LM, Cameraleather seemed to be the only Supplier that
    has this one.

Looks like I will have to cut my own on this one.

The good news I can proberly cut it in less than 6 weeks !!! :laugh:

Johnkpap

24. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I feel the need to provide some positive feedback for Cameraleather. I contacted them maybe 2+ weeks ago about removing the vulcanite from and recovering my M3. Got a reply within a couple of hours. Sent a followup question to Morgan, which wasn't replied to; repeated the question the next day and got a response in a few hours. I sent the M3 off to them Wednesday of last week, so they got it last Friday (5/4). I got an e-mail from Morgan Sparks today that the camera is done and in the mail back to me; I should have it Friday.

So a week and a day (counting four days in transit) is pretty darn good! I know, I should wait until I have it and can inspect it, but the quality of their materials and workmanship has never been in question.