Can a 35mm taking lens be used for enlarging?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by htmlguru4242, Dec 9, 2005.

1. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm currently without an enlarger, and I need to make some prints. Is it possible to rig something up for enlargements from a light source and a 35mm taking lens? I have some old 52mm Canon lenses that I'd be willing ot use. Is it possible? How?

2. Timothy

Timothy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Try this link. These guys are very helpful and they will explain what you need and why, and what you might use instead.
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/

good luck.

Tim R

3. tpersin

tpersin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never tried it without an enlarger, but camera lenses can certainly be used as enlarging lenses. Just for kicks, I tried it with an Industar-50 (50mm camera lens) and it worked. I also once used a 37mm Mir-1 to make an enlargement from an old 110 negative. (Both of these lenses are Soviet M39 SLR lenses for some of their ~1950s-1960s SLRs. Because they've got M39 mounts, they fit many enlargers without modification.)

Note that most camera lenses aren't designed to project a flat field, so you may get blurrier edges than you would with a real enlarger lens. If you've got a flat-field macro lens, you might want to use it.

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

50 3.5 elmar make a very passable enlarging lens. Use a coated one.

Any maro lens should be more than passable. I used to use a 50mm Macro Takumar F4.0. It was a good as an enlarging lens od the day. My current 65 Elmar 3.5 is way more than good enough. Chrome version only OK.

F 2.0 lenses and such will not be as good unless well stopped down in general.

6. Randy Stewart

Randy Stewart Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anything is possible, but no camera lens will perform as well as a mediocre enlarging lens, because they are designed to different standards. A macro non-zoom taking lens would be possible, but would cost far more than a top quality used enlarging lens.