Can Dusters, last long??

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Craig Swensson, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    greetings, just need to know how long these cans last, at NZ$48.00 for can and spray unit i want an idea of how much use i will get out of 1 can.
    regards
    CW

2. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    48.00? I could ship you a 5 pack from the states for less than that! I usually go through the standard can of air duster about every 2 months. But, I use it for cleaning my enlarger, spraying negatives, and also cleaning up charcoal drawings when I am working outside of Photography.

3. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thanks for the info. Yep, NZ$24.00 a can, though i know if i shop around i will find a better price ~ like 22.00
    2 months is ok. cheers
    CW

4. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch, I buy giant size cans from Walmart for about $3 to $4.
    I think they started putting up the price to stop the kids form buying them and sniffing them.

Next time I come to NZ to visit the relatives I should bring a suitcase full and sell them while there. I wonder if the airline will let me bring them on board?

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. totalamateur

totalamateur Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At that price, it might be worth going to a welder's supply and getting a tank of compressed nitrogen, a regulator and fittings. Upfront cost will be more, but it'll last ad infinitum.

A blow gun and portable tire filler tank can also be had cheap - I used to use this to clean out PC's when I had a PC repair shop. a 5 gallon tank and blow gun costs about $50 together here in the states, and it's $2 - $3 to fill with compressed air at any filling station. The compressed air tanks can get water in them, which might not be great when it spits out onto your prized negative. Moisture filters can be had, however.

7. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get an antistatic brush...and kiss the air goodbye.

Does a better job and much more environmentally sound...and doesn't stir up the air in your darkroom.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was at Target the other day to buy a duster and they carded me!(I'm 56) I geuss young people have been inhaling them to get high.

Jeff

9. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's nothing! I was once buying a bag of potato chips at a liquor store and got carded! Who knew, potatoes are controlled substance....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :confused:

10. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thanks all, I have a tyre fill compressor and will get an anti static brush. The canned air does not really do the job.
    Carded at over 40 is gotta be a compliment huh?
    regards
    Craig

11. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a couple of rubber blower bulbs, and a good antistatic brush.
    Save that cash for more film !

12. djacobox372

djacobox372 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Get yourself one of these! It's even stronger then canned air:

[​IMG]

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many of these "Canned Air" aerosols don't dispense Air but Freon Gas which should not be used on lenses because it's very cold and can crack glass.

14. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rubber blower bulbs are ineffective in removing the smallest stuck dust particles in my experience, and, since they suck in air, they blow out dust occasionally as well!

The compressor or antistatic brush solutions seems the best.

15. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Electric Duster is on the shopping list.
    An Excellent Device !

16. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A small air compressor available in artist supply shops for airbrushes @ $100 US should last a lifetime and certainly much longer than a few cans of spray.

17. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Compressed air contains WATER! if you are going to use a compressor get yourself a moisture trap. Canned "air" is actually some sort of chemical like propane, butane, refrigerant, or something else that has a low boiling point and can be easily be caned in liquid form. The low temp liquid can also pick up moisture between the nozzle and your target, freeze it and impinge your target with ice pellets. I wouldn't spray it at anything that you don't want to sand blast with ice (negative, lens, print) unless you are far away enough for the ice to melt and turn back to gas, at that point you may as well use a bulb.

18. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this is highly exaggerated. I have used KenAir Airduster cans for years, and never seen anything like "sandblast" damage. Only very rarely, especially when I don't hold up the can straight, I have had a bit of some fluid come out. That is unwanted, but like I said mostly because I didn't hold it right, so my own dumb fault.

The benefits of a clean negative printed without loads of dust needing spotting, far outweighs the small risk of some fluid spitting out, IMHO.

Marco

19. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some people, that may be a bit too often. I wanted to point out that this is a risk, although small, but a compressor is just asking for trouble.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good Hurricane blowers like the Giotto Rocket Blower http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower-Review.aspx have a valve in them so they only blow not suck

21. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have something similar from Hama, but even a valve won't solve the issue that any dust flying in the air, is able to get into the rubber blower, and hence gets blown out when you compress it. I have seen that with mine.

Of course, come to think of it, adding a small "dust" filter tissue by taping it down over the valves intake, might help.

22. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I try to not be obsessive about it.

23. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, good and healthy attitude.

Probably the only reason why I may be "obsessive" about it, is that I hate spotting prints... :wink: From all the things related to darkroom work and printing, that is by far my least favourite :surprised:

Marco