Can Film Be Exposed By Changing Lens on Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mahrye, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mahrye

mahrye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was working with my Hasselblad and I went to change the lens and forgot to put the darkslide in before I did. Would this have exposed my film? I've changed lens on my Minolta 35mm with film in it and it's always come out.

Sorry if this seems like a question with an obvious answer I just want to make sure because of a tight shooting schedule.

2. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't know about others, but when I used my Hasselblad I developed the habit of always reinserting the darkslide after making an exposure. First, that kept me from misplacing it, second, it kept me from accidentally tripping the shutter and wasting a frame (since I developed another habit of always winding the camera immediately after making an exposure), and third...well, I don't have a third reason except that it seemed like a good habit, and habits seem to help keep me from making mistakes in my process.

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always wind my shutter immediately after it is tripped...sorta an auto response.

If you insert the DS after every frame you may prematurely wear out the light seal at that point.
    They are easy enough to replace but I thought I'd mention it.
    I store unloaded backs with the DS removed and the entire shebang in a ziplock to keep dust to a minimum.

4. JS MD

JS MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    very funny

5. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might check to make sure the secondary shutters are indeed fully closing.

6. amac212

amac212 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So long as your shutter curtains are closing completely after pressing the shutter release, you will be fine. Remove the film back and fire the shutter. You should see the curtains open and close completely, without any sluggishness or gapping.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can change lenses without the dark slide in, but always remember to only remove a lens with the camera and lens cocked!

Steve