Can Fuji and Kodak E-6 be processed together?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by in the dark, Apr 27, 2010.

1. in the dark

in the dark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recall reading that Ektachrome and Fujichrome can not be processed together in the same E-6 batch. Is this correct?

2. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nope - worked in labs for years - if it's a E6 process film then they all get processed at the same time - no matter if it's Agfa (oh, them were the days), Fuji or Kodak

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Color is easy in this regard: E-6 is E-6 is E-6. C-41 is C-41 is C-41. It is black and white that is the problem when it comes to mixing films in the same processing batch! Color films are designed to work in a standardized process. Black and white films are not.

4. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Colour films all have the same standard processing time for their respective process., though I've seen recommendations for slight deviation on the first developer times for specific films though in E-6.

5. in the dark

in the dark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the response. What I recalled reading was that the actual chemistry of the two films had a detrimental effect on each other when in a communal bath. I'm happy to hear it is not so.

I don't intend on doing this often but having just acquired another Jobo I want to soup the two leftover 220 rolls from when I stopped 2-3 years ago and see what's on them. I like surprises :smile: After this it will be almost exclusively Fuji for E-6.

6. tmbg

tmbg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never run fuji and kodak together, but I have run velvia 50 and velvia 100F together, with no apparent ill effects.

For what it's worth, the antihalation dye on each of those films makes for a different color first wash. Old Velvia 50 is green, Velvia 100F is pink, and I believe the new Velvia 50 is more bluish.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji and Kodak films should go through the process together just fine, but to be strict about this, Fuji suggests a different time in the first developer than Kodak.

PE

8. Jerry Thirsty

Jerry Thirsty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I always process Fuji and Kodak separately; Fuji gets 7:00 in the first developer and Kodak gets 6:00.

9. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes I wish black and white had a standardized process. That would have made it easier for sloe learners like me to figure out the process :D

10. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

sloe? I think I need to learn to spell :\

BTW, has anyone ever made a typo and then looked down at the keyboard to see if the wrong letter you typed was close to the letter you were supposed to type? :D

11. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can with Diafine...

12. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you must balance 9 emulsions (on average) for color, it is more critical to have one process for all. Agfa failed years ago with their own proprietary process when Fuji and Kodak were using the same processes.

B&W is quite different and allows a larger variety of emulsions to be used. Of course this becomes critical with 3 emulsions in some cases in one B&W product.

PE

13. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might have to give Diafine a try, then :D

14. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sometimes I wish colour had a non-standardised process, as I fantasise about this having given more freedom to film R&D on colour films - higher speeds, flexibility of Tri-X and others, oh well.

15. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is lots of experimentation that can be done as long as you stick with one color film. All color films do not respond to changes the same way.

PE

16. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember reading some Jobo literature on the web that suggests not processing Kodak and Fuji together. Sure pro labs do it but they have huge tanks with probably a gallon of chemistry per tank. You are putting 300ml of chemistry in your Jobo or so- much different.

17. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of course when you start messing with non standard processes such as cross-processing E6 in C41 or vice versa, all bets are off

18. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    guess we have completely different mindsets. I'd rather do all my creative workings with the camera and film and not worry about variations in developering and agitation. The only time I want to change or adjust developing is when I cross process or push process, which is probably 1 or 2 rolls a year at most :D

I understand the creative possibilities, but sometimes I think too many possibilities can be detrimental, IMO. I make a print that I think looks good, then I think, "well, if I had done this or that, my picture would have looked "better." I put better in quotations because in reality, my prints would have looked different. Not better or worse, just different. I probably convinced myself that less variables would be better just because I tend to think of all the stuff I could or should have done :D

Edit: I hope this post doesnt hijack the thread. :D