Can I borrow your Nikon F5 body?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ted_smith, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ted_smith

ted_smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Nikon F5. I only have one. I'd prefer to have two and have each one loaded with a different lens, or a different film, or just to have it as a backup in case mine goes wrong for my up-and-coming wedding event.

Are there any brave and generous souls out there in the land of APUG who might consider lending me an F5 for a couple of days? I live in Derbyshire, UK. I'd need it for the 18th June.

Ted

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you rent one? Just a suggestion.

Jeff

3. ted_smith

ted_smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeff

I had thought of that, but last time I enquired with Calumet about hiring I was told the deposit was nearly as much as the camera costs! Whilst I understand why, I didn't have that kind of money to hand. Though I expect an F5 is less than the camera I was enquiring about (a Nikon D200 at the time), I expect it will still be considerable. Folks at APUG are a bit more friendly and I was hoping someone might lend me one in good faith. I long stretch I know, but you never know. I've been offered such generosity and trust in the past on here, I thought I'd try my luck again.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might consider expanding your request to include something like an F100, or any other body compatible with your lenses and/or flashes.

For years I shot weddings with one camera, and had a simpler, less expensive body as a backup.

5. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The cheapest place to rent is probably e**y. Buy an F100, use it as backup and then relist it. Even if you pay top dollar for the purchase, you are likely to recoup 75-90% of the sale price on the relist.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forget what the cost was! Looks like you are between a hard place and a rock! I hope someone can bale you out. As far as 35mm SLR all I got is the old Canon FD stuff.

Jeff

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An F5 is overkill as a backup, an FM or FM2 would be far better.

Ian

8. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll second the idea of trying to get an F100 as a second body. When I did a wedding in similiar circumstances, I used an F5 for all the colour work, and an F2 for all the black & white. It was an outdoor wedding so I was able to switch cameras at will, and swap lenses between cameras. (I think I would have gotten confused if I used two identical bodies)

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You make a good point about getting confused with 2 identical cameras. Shooting quite a variety of occasions in Colour & B&W (mainly concerts but also weddings) my camera's where always different models although the same make, even when shooting MF.

Ian

10. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Or even an F90/N90. I got one recently on e**y for $34 and it's a keeper. Sure the rubber on the back is peeling, but the camera works great. No confusing it with an F5, but it's a great backup camera for me and you can't beat the price if you can stand the noise. :smile:

Ulysses

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It appears there's a Nikon for sale in our classifieds for cheap, never hurts to have a backup.

12. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at your lens list...might not hurt to have a moderate wide angle, too.

13. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's a wedding I'd say a wide angle is pretty much mandatory.

14. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Get an F100 as a back-up or main rig. I actually find the F100 to be the better rig for weddings.

15. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the buying a backup camera. With two- you not only have a back up, you now have 72 frames before a reload, and/or you can have two different stocks loaded at one time. One black and white, one color....or whatever.

As for the batman utility camera belt idea- I've made one of those for my Bronica, yes you look a little strange (I ceartainly feel strange when I wear it) but it is nice to have.

And I dont know if they are still available now, but I remember seeing ads for formal dress vests that were made for wedding photographers. They were photo vests designed to go with your tux.

Try this site http://www.buy.com/prod/ador-tuxedo-vest-small-d-36-38/q/listingid/43066892/loc/111/211118720.html

16. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever works for each photographer but when I used to shoot motorsports I always carried two Canon T90s. The idea was when the main body broke (never happened) I could switch to the backup without any hesitation or thought. After many events without any problems I ended up usually loading different films (or the same with different lens choices) in each and designating the different film type with colored tape.

17. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an N80 which will do just fine for photographing. As long as you have the glass.

18. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Second that idea of an F90. They're downright cheap on the used market and a darned fine camera too. Probably cost you less than the rental of an F5 for the day and you'll have it always as a backup.

19. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 20mm should be wide enough for wedding work. I love burning Neopan 400CN for wedding work. I rate it @ 250 for that type of shooting. Great results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kiron Kid

20. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would imagine that the 20mm is wide enough. :D I'm thinking a moderate wide angle could come in handy. Something to fill the gap, like say a 28.