Can I touch your camera?

Discussion in 'New England' started by bblhed, Oct 2, 2010.

1. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in the Waterbury CT area (please don't hold that against me), and I'm thinking about making the jump from Medium to large format, but I'm not really sure. What I would like to know is if there is anyone that might be willing to meet me in a quite public place like a park that has things to photograph in it, and show me a large format camera and how to use it. Maybe this could even be some sort of gathering with several people with cameras and several people that want to see them. I know this is asking a lot, but seeing how a large format camera costs as much as a small car I want to be as informed as possible before I do it.

Thank you.

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

LF needn't cost that much, in fact a used camera, typically less than $200, is your best bet, as you will almost never get what you want in your first camera. Only by using it will you discover shortcomings based on your way of shooting.

4. bill h

bill h Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This weekend I'm shooting with a Speed Graphic 4x5 that was given me... it has many of the qualities of a fine 4x5 camera, and many of the pleasures.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, it does not cost as much as a small car. It is much less expensive. I recently bought a 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a 4"x5" Graflex Model D with lens for less than you would pay for a half decent [if they exist] DSLR. Included was a custom made plate to allow me to use a Graflok back on the Model D.

There are no stupid questions except the ones that were not asked and should have been. Also check out www.graflex.org, read all the sections on the home page and then go to the "Help Board". Another good resource is www.largeformatphotography.info.

You are in Connecticut and I am in Virginia, so you will need to find someone else who will allow you to touch their "unit" or "junk". :sick: :whistling: :laugh:

6. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll meet you at the Port Jefferson Terminal.
    Send me a PM.

Ron

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. BBarlow690

BBarlow690 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yup, we'd love to have you come visit. Hey, the Keene Swamp Bats come your way during baseball season!

We'll have all kinds of cameras for you to play with, and many knowledgeable people who can show you how it's done.

Weather looks good, the menu's almost complete. Come see us this Saturday, Sunday, or both!

directions can be found here: http://sitekreator.com/fallfoilage/main_page.html