Can I use a color correcting yellow .50 as a medium yellow filter?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by zsas, Jan 6, 2013.

1. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've a toy camera that I want to glue a gel filter to the inside so I always shoot with a yellow (k2) filter. Will an old Cibachrome color correcting filter do? If so which one? I've the .1, .2 through the .50....anyone advise?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy- I've used everything from CC filters, rubylith, contrast filters, colored cellophane, etc. in Dianas/Holgas/box cameras, etc.

3. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nice! You happen to know which of the CC yellows is most like a K2? I'm guessing the 0.50

4. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't recall which I used. I do remember it was a filter which was damaged, so cutting off a piece wasn't wasting a good filter. Is there a way for you to take a few shots, with each of the filters taped to the front of the camera? That way, you can gauge the results of each.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    K2 = Wratten 8

No, you cannot copy the spectral density of the Wratten 8 by using yellow Color Compensating filters.

However, stacking two CC50Y should get you close.

The K2/Wratten 8 contrast filter is a cut-off filter that cuts-off blue and transmits green and red.
    The CCY compensating filters are band-pass filters that transmit a band in the yellow region, but still let through some blue.
    However the relative sensitivity in that region varies for different films, so that you likely will get similar results.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks AgX! Thankfully the .50 is large enough that I can double it over like you suggest and get close to a K2. Just wanna mess around and have a bunch a these cc filters doing no work...thanks!

7. hgernhardt

hgernhardt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All this talk about cutoffs and bandpass… Were you by chance a radio amateur in another life? :smile:

8. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Light and radio waves; all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

9. hgernhardt

hgernhardt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Touché. :smile:

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about a piece of Rosco/Lee stage lighting filter gel?

Steve.

11. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All of the filters mentioned here are acetate (even the stage "gels") and will degrade lens performance badly. True gelatins are suitable for use in the image path but are very delicate and these days pretty pricey.

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks folks! Steve - Rosco sounds good, just don't have any on hand, not really worth ordering as this is my mess-around "kit":smile:

Jim - Yeah I'm not too concerned re degradation. I've a nice rig (Contax G2 w 28mm), this toy camera is for some playing around and whatnot. Thanks for the tips!

13. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy- Toy cameras call for toy filters! The reason for using toy cameras is to loosen up. Try what you have planned, but other things, too. I once used saran wrap, colored with Hi-Liters of different colors. I rubber banded the "filter" to the Diana lens. Obviously, you're not looking for the results you get from your Contax, so experiment, and have fun with it.

14. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Eddie, you're right, take the art off the grid per se ever so often....your abstracts are an inspiration!

15. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I regularly use correction gels on my Sigma 15/30mm zoom. There is no filter thread because the front element protrudes so far forward, but on the back of the lens is a clip that was designed to accept 25mm square gel filters. I bought a job lot from pale yellow right through to deep orange and cut the correct size for my needs. I only wish there was a red available as well.
    They work exceedingly well and even if they get light scratches there is absolutely no degradation of the image.