Can I use this for contact prints?

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by micwag2, Sep 9, 2013.

1. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Picked this up awhile back and I was wondering if I could use it to make contact prints from some Tri-X negatives I have?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks workable.

3. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wasn't sure. Never made a contact print before. I have pretty much everything I need for making contact prints I think. Picked this thing up for $10 at a thrift shop. Any tips on how to use this?

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    All you need is even illumination, and it looks like you have it. Says made by Star X-Ray, but looks like it could just as well be a contact printer or duplicator of some kind. Put your negative on the white glass emulsion side up, and some paper face down on it, shut the lid, and make the exposure. Although you might want to switch out the tube for an amber one or your needed exposure times might be uncontrollably short.

5. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This unit is for copying dental x-ray film. But do I need to change the bulb for Tri-X? Never worked with dental films and don't know much about the difference between that film and what I use. It looks like a UV bulb in it right now with 2 red safety bulbs.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That unit was made for copying on either X-ray film or any orthochromatic film or any b&w paper (except for Pananalure)

When using a panchromatic film to copy on, then off course keep those red bulbs shut-off or better take them out.

7. rrocco

rrocco Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the light works, you can make a contact print.
    Problem is that you would have difficulty doing test strips and would not be able to dodge or burn any areas of the image (unless you make some king of masks).

8. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    a 15 watt bulb in some sort of canister on a long cord with a pulley will work better...and easier I dare say...hook it up to a timer and voila!!
    Best, Peter