Can print 6x4.5 - 6x9, now what bout 35mm?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by kb244, Aug 20, 2006.

1. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a kindermann enlarger with a Schneider Kreuznach Componar 105 f4,5. An enlarger platform that lets me put the paper down as far as 4.5-6 foot away from the enlarger lens ( its got like four slots for the paper board ). I currently have this glass negative holder, that seems to hold upto a 6x9 frame, and has these 4 sliders that I assume will let me block light to the other frame so it just shows the frame selected. Now I'm wondering two things.

1) Is the kindermann universal enough that I could just go find a square-shaped 35mm film holder. (I've seen plenty of round ones that look like flat pans)

2) Would be ideal for me to get a different enlarger lens for the purpose of 35mm enlargement.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you've got a 4-blade neg mask, then the 6x9 glass neg carrier should be fine. There's no real need to use a dedicated 35mm neg carrier.

Since enlarging lenses are cheap these days, you might want to upgrade to 6-element lenses for 6x9 and 35mm (like Componon-S or Rodagon), but unless you can't make big enough enlargements from 35mm with the 105mm lens you have, there's no rush.

Another reason to use a 50mm lens with 35mm is that you won't have to raise the head as high, and that can reduce the effect of enlarger vibration, but unless that's a noticable problem, use what you've got for now, until you find a better lens.

3. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information, I may be checking out the enlarger lens when I get back to work monday. Btw what you think about the Nikon enlarger lens, we got a few of those at work.

4. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Nikkon enlarger lenses are also good but due to the fact that 35mm enlargements are getting more critical the best 50mm lenses are comming from Schneider (Companon-S) or Rodenstock (Rodagon) or even better their APO versions. All these 6 or 7-element lenses have an aperture of 2,8 and standard M39 mounting.

Best regards,

Robert

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The EL-Nikkor lenses are also good lenses, generally with particularly good contrast. Do some research to figure out which are the 4-element and which are 6-element designs before purchasing.

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 50mm f/2.8 EL-Nikkor is a fine six element lens. I've used them for 38 years. Their 50mm f/4 is a decent four element lens.

I'm not familiar with the Kindermann enlarger. To adapt my DeJur 4x5 condenser enlarger for 35mm, I had to improvise an extender to place the negative carrier below it's original position for efficient and uniform illumination.

7. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    *click to enlarge*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like a nice sturdy enlarger. When using a 50mm lens for 35mm film, you perhaps can vertically adjust the lamp with its rod to get the best illumination.

9. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My co-worker just hooked me up with a Beseler Color Pro 1:2.8/50, or what he calls a Roddenstock or something.