Can someone explain 70mm film please?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by snaggs, Nov 19, 2012.

1. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Id like to look at a 70mm back, I know I need Type II perf and that its all but vanished.

1) can you still make special bulk orders from kodak for film? How does one contact them?
    2) how much film is needed per back? I.e. there is a 60ft rool of expired tri-x on ebay. What kind of bulk loader would I need?

Thanks,

Daniel.

2. Barrie B.

Barrie B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aside of Kodak Agfa offers part of their film assortment in 70mm off the shelf. You best inquire for such at their Aerial Dep. at their Headquarters in Flanders.

4. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I understand that the Hasselblad backs need type II perf. For anybody that used the A70, what was your favorite?

5. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  6. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The bulk loader seems to be the hard part. On photo net some said the just took a 35mm plastic spool, cut in in half an used a dowel to achieve the correct spacing.

7. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can roll 35mm film by hand you should be able to do the same with 70mm film.

Hewes offers 70mm bulk loaders.

9. heterolysis

heterolysis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I've done something similar to this before. It can work, you just have to be careful that the ends of the 35mm spool are aligned well so that it doesn't wobble.

10. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Amazingly, I found a local source that has some KODAK PLUS-X AERECON II Film at a good price, on freeze. This is official Kodak Australia stuff, so I don't have to worry about x-rays etc that I've have with imports.

500ft reels are going to be fun though. Any idea's how to spool off this?

Daniel.

11. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wonder how difficult it would be to build a winder, that you could use in a large changing tent or a darkroom? Really you just need a way of maintaining tension in both reels... You can easily know by 'feel' when your takeup reel is full - then you can cut the film with some scissors and put it in a cartridge...

Marc!

12. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a spare developing reel and 1 million cartridges (slight exaggeration) if useful - you would need to find (aieee!) a tank for the reel though.

Marc!

13. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What does the film come in? Can you spool a bit in the dark, and then put it back? They have 87, 500 foot rolls. Was frozen until March this year (at the RAF), and then just in cool storage. Is it worth rescuing this stuff? Expiry date should be 2000's, but I'm getting him to check

Daniel.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    generally it's in a light proof tin, wound onto a bobbin... so yes, I would reckon.

Marc!

16. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    snaggs: how much do they want per roll? I could certainly be interested in a couple if the price is right.

munz: how much do you want for 6 cartridges and the reel? What is the diameter of the reel? Know anyone with a bulk-loader FS?

edit: has anyone successfully adjusted/mangled a Jobo 2xxx reel to fit 70mm? I have a couple more than I need and would happily sacrifice one to the cause.

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sure, I made one from a Jobo and a pot with a glass lid...that I broke out, then used a small plastic garbage pail bottom that I cut out and layed into where the glass was then cut a hole in that and inserted a Jobo, then sealed it all Wirh glue, drilled holes in the bottom of the Jobo and top of the Jobo, then filled the top with wax to allow for drainage to hit the holes I drilled, it works but its a beast, I would be much happer to own a daylight tank MADE for 70mm...

I think I'm almost done with 70mm and thinking of selling, I have both a Mamiya RB67 back and Hassleblad back in 70mm, one 70mm reel, one 116 reel for testing old 70mm and about 300 feet of 70mm perf in my freezer...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey I think you promised that to me and then disappeared haha, I found one but it's not really an actual one and I always skip ridges and end up overlapping the film, any chance you would still offer it? I hate the one I have haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    StoneNYC,

I read this part about your DIY-project again and again:

but still got no idea what you are talking about.
    But you made me curious!

20. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think he means (from the photos) that he hacked a Jobo 1xxx lid onto a bastardised lid for a jar that was big enough to hold the Hewes 70mm spiral.

My question related to whether anyone had used Jobo spirals to do 70mm, since I have a CPP2 and lots of spirals. I think they'd need a dowel (or PVC-pipe) spacer to get the width right, and you'd only be able to fit 1.6m (a 220 roll) on each spiral. In my case that means it's probably more sensible to slit the film, spool to 220 and use a 220 back. More hassle but much lower capital investment (Mamiya 70mm back and adaptor-G are $$$; RZ/220 back is about $25) and it wouldn't take a year to finish a roll!

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jobo once made a 10m 70mm reel.
    But you would have to use their upright standing tank with reel-twisting agitation.

Jobo once made a 1.6m 70mm reel for their 2500 drum system.
    When using longer film one could do blank exposures at the intersections and cut the film in the darkroom.
    But that would mean letting go the advantage of doing quick, hassle-free, long serial exposures.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hmm lots to respond to...

I think the confusing thing is this...

[​IMG]

I had trouble pouring the chemical out because the drainage holes were too high so I added wax to lift up the level o reach the holes flat, I wouldn't process color film in this (heat + wax = bad) but B&W is fine.

The point of 70mm is to shoot and process 15 feet (5 meters?) at a time, of you have to shoot shorter lengths in order to process in smaller reels, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Also, FYI 116 reels are 70mm tall so you don't have to re-design new 120/220 spirals just buy a 116 reel/tank and use that, but again, you only get like 1 meter to process at a time. That's what I use to test new 70mm for exposure / processing if its expired.

Anyway my "daylight" 70mm tank isn't FULLY light proof, but as long as it's not high noon, it seems to work fine.

I wish I could see a picture of a real 70mm daylight tank, I wish some nice person would offer me one lol

~Stone

23. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got 5 rolls of Double-X on the way. Spoke to Hewes in the UK, and they can supply most everything for 70mm. They even have a loader for their 70mm spirals. Any idea if this "loader" (doesn't look like a bulk loader), could be used to load cassettes?

Daniel.

24. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Hewes loader is a spiral loader not a cassette loader. It holds the spiral and has a tongue to put a little curl in the film so that it goes into the metal spiral neatly.

What did they quote for a spiral+tank ?

25. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Will let you know when he gets back to me! This sounds exciting, started a thread in the Darkroom forum, seems not many people have tried this stuff;

http://www.project-double-x.org/about.html

26. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format