Can this unit use as a dry mount press?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by TN98, Jun 6, 2008.

1. TN98

TN98 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly, I have seen the newer Dry mounting presses offered by Hot Press and others in the UK and they are similar. Most modern Dry-mount tissue works at lower temperature compared to years ago, simply because RC prints cant withstand the same amount of heat as Fibre based prints.

However you should try a Google search for XMTD-708 and make up your own mind, it might also be worth contacting the seller and asking direct.

Dry mounting presses are remarkably simple, I have an Ademco press that's at least 50 years old, there is nothing sophisticated about it just two sets of heating elements and a series/parallel control switch, so on full power the elements are in parallel and half power in series. Although the elements are no longer available the modern equivalent is a heat pad and these are very inexpensive.

Ian

3. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was involved in sublimation printing a few years ago and I'm considering these units for drying FB paper. The only downside to these presses can be uneven heat distribution in cheaper models but I don't think that's a concern for us. They are extremely heavy! Is it any cheaper for you to ship from Australia?