can you develop 35mm and 120 of the same film shot at same EI together?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by destroya, Sep 30, 2013.

1. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a few rolls of 35mm and 120 of arista EDU 200, both shot at 100, and some tmax 100 35mm and 120 also shot at the same EI. can I develop them in a patterson tank at the same time, using the same time? or should they be developed separately. I'm thinking yes but thought I would ask first. I know its not an issue for color c41 and e6 but not sure about B&W.

thanks

john

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. As long as you have reels which fit, I use Nikor tanks so I don't know about Patterson.

3. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was thinking of that the other day. A lot of times I will shoot Rollei and FE and use Delta ASA 100 for both films. Thats cool and a time saver.

ToddB

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Careful .....

If your standard developing times for Arista EDU 200 and TMax 100 happen to be either the same or very close (within 1/2 a minute of each other?) then go right ahead. Remember that the TMax will require a longish time in the fixer.

If your times for the two types of film differ, you cannot conveniently develop them together, unless you are willing to add films part way through the development process (in total darkness of course).

Most people find that 35mm and 120 versions of the same film require the same or similar development times, but some prefer to use slightly different times, due to differences in their cameras/lenses, and/or their agitation procedures.

5. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The bottom line is - if you're happy with the results, then 'Yes, of course you can!'.

But there are differences between 35mm and 120. Film base is different, lenses are different, enlarging lens is sometimes different, etc etc etc.

Therefore, if you find that the results you need from either format are not similar enough, then 'Don't do that!'. :smile:

As always, it is a matter of what you need versus what you deliver. Personally, I develop 120 Tri-X together with 35mm Tri-X all the time, same with TMax 400 in the two formats. I get what I need that way. But as Matt says above, that may not be the case for everybody.

Mixing two different films on the other hand, I've done that with no ill effect, but I've heard some claims that it's not ideal, based on the compounds that different films release into the developer during the process. It's not clear to me how much of that has actual substance, and how much of it is hypothetical 'what ifs'.

7. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i didnt mean that i was gonna mix the tmax with the edu, just that could the 2 formats of the same film be developed together. Guess I'll try it and see as there are no real special shots on any of the rolls.

thanks as always.

8. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if the dev time is the same, the size and even brand name doesn't matter -- I've even mixed in Tri-x and something that had a dev time of 45 seconds or so more -- i figured worse case scenario the tri-x gets a 5 percent push, which is nothing, and realistically, times aren't as rock solid as they seem at times -- for example, if it takes 20 seconds to fill the tank, how to you allow for the 20-second overdevelopment of the roll at the bottom of the stack?

You don't.

9. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I assume you have the multi reel tank? In my Paterson System 4 tank I can only fit one 120 reel or two 35mm reels at one time.

10. Light Guru

Light Guru Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A little more then Dev time matters.

As long as the Dev time, developer temperature, developer dilution, and agitation interval all match then the size or brand does not matter.

11. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sometimes develop a bunch of film at once to catch up, and after doing several runs of four 35mm or two 120, as I get near the end there will be a few one-off's... For regular film, I'll toss the closest kinds together just to get them done. I won't hesitate to mix 120 and 35mm. But the special film gets done one at a time as needed (slow, fine-grain film for example). Never had a problem either way.

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I occasionally mix films where the dev times I need to use are similar as well, or when I am doing Rodinal stand development. Hc110 at Dilution B seems to have tons of films that get done in the 5-6 minute range when using it at a higher temp. I only do this when I have to process lots though. I still usually wait until I have atleast 2 or 3 rolls shot at the same EI before I develop them.

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, I know you didn't imply mixing the two films together, but others did. :smile:

The Arista.EDU Ultra (Fomapan) films have consistently warranted shorter developing times for me than most other films.

Have fun developing film!

14. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got lots of Paterson tanks from the small one to several of the "8 reel" tanks. The "8 reels" take 8 35s or 5 120s. It's my habit to never "fill" a tank so that the film is to the top. I don't usually "fill" to a little more than half way.

But same film / different sizes? All the time!

15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i always do and they come out fine

16. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks to all. did it and all the film came out fine.
    another development unknown to me marked off. next is....... :blink: