Cannon Canonflex and Flash Unit V-2

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by HBPhoto, Sep 2, 2013.

1. HBPhoto

HBPhoto Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Multi Format
    I just inherited a Canon Canonflex RM and a Canon Flash Unit model V-2.. I'm a long time digital photographer, but since I got these vintage or near vintage cameras, I want to learn them. I need to know where to find a replacement battery for the one it came with - it's square and 22.5V.. Anyone know where to get one of these?
  2. Yeeski

Yeeski Member

Aug 26, 2006
    This flash uses an Eveready 505 carbon zinc battery or its equivalent (Neda 221 type). These are still available. Do a search on the 'net or on eBay. However, be aware that this is what is known as a "B-C" or battery-capacitor bulb flash. In addition to the 22.5v battery, there is a replaceable electrolytic capacitor that's roughly the size of a AA battery. Make sure that the battery and capacitor are inserted in the correct locations. Over the years, the capacitor can deteriorate to the point where it will not hold a sufficient charge to fire the flash bulb, even with a good battery. If you need a copy, Mike Butkus has provided a free scan of the V-2 manual:

Also, here are links to a couple of useful threads at