Canon 50/1.4 versus VC Nokton 50/1.5

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by chris00nj, Aug 8, 2008.

1. chris00nj

chris00nj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am torn between getting a Canon 50mm f/1.4 or a Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50mm f/1.5 for my Bessa R.

Both seem to have overall good reputations and I could pick up either for under $300, something that may be hard for other fast lenses in LTM.

The Canon 50/1.4 is faster by 14%. The VC is a much newer lens, possibilty taking advantage of design improvements over the last 40 years. I probably can get the VC in slightly better cosmetic condition or without any traces of oil on the aperature.

Any thoughts?

2. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You have to be careful with older Canon lenses that the rear surface behind the aperture is not damaged. If you go that route, be sure to check is and have return priviliges.

The F1.5 multicoated vs the F1.4 single-coated is not going to be much of a real difference.

I have the Canon 50/1.4, and like it very much. It is a big lens, as is the Nokton.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  3. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd call it a tie but Noktons are easier to come by in much better condition.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes we have a tendency to get to wrapped up in speed differences.
    14% is less than the tolerances used in calibrating shutter speeds. Typical is 20% and at higher speeds, 500 & up 50% is considered within tolerance.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's what I was going to say. The real world difference between 1.5 and 1.4 is negligible and is more of a marketing thing than anything that will show up in photos ... or be visually apparent in photos.