Canon A-1 doesn't like cold weather?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by TattyJJ, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

1. TattyJJ

TattyJJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got back from a short holiday in Budapest (which is AMAZING by the way!), the temperatures were pretty low, hovering around freezing or below most of the time, and i found it really didn't agree with my Canon A-1.
    When warm it works perfectly, not even a hint of shutter squeak after i sorted it, but after being out in the cold i found the aperture would get stuck at whatever the picture was taken at and sometimes the mirror would get stuck up too. I have 3 different lenses and they all did the same so i know the issue isn't with them.
    When you advance the film it all resets to how it should be.

Was wondering if this is normal or anyone else had experienced similar?

2. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Long ago, cameras used to be sent in for 'climatization'...thinner lubricants applied if camera expected to be used in freezing conditions. Some folks never sent their camera in for that...living in SF Bay area and not taking camera into freezing conditions for long periods, I did not need to (I would run for the fire and hot alcoholic drink long before my camera would get gummy in the cold!

The A-1 has been around for a very long time, its lubricants are probably the original ones that have gotten permanently gummy on their own (even when not in the cold) Camera is in need of a CLA...send the lens in at the same time.

3. TattyJJ

TattyJJ Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I did wonder if it could be something like this, was considering sending it for a service anyway.
    Any suggestions for somewhere in the UK that won't cost me the earth?

4. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do a Google search, talk to them on the phone to inquire about CLA with attention to get a camera functioning in the cold.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said. Time for a CLA.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    At low temperatures batteries won't give out any current, the A1 is totally battery dependant if you want a camera that works at below zero get a Canon F1 or a Nikon F, if you keep them warm under your clothing they will both work down to minus30 .