Canon A-1 shutter problem.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Goose, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Goose

Goose Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently purchased a Canon A-1 with a couple of lenses and on first inspection it seemed to be in pretty good condition. However, now when i fire the shutter stays open for an unusual amount of time, no matter what shutter speed I have it set on. At first I thought it might be the battaries but after switching them I still incounter the same problem. In some cases I have to press the battery test button just to close the shutter.

If anyone could shed some light on my problem that'd be awesome. I just want to know if I'm making some stupid rookie mistake before I take it into a repair shop and they point out my stupidity for all to see.

Cheers.

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will find the A1 manual here http://web.archive.org/web/20051127013608/www.canonfd.com/choose.htm study it, it could be that you haven't got it set up correctly, have the lens set at A and are on the manual exposure mode , you don't say what mode the camera was on or what the shutter speed should have been , read the manual and if you have any further questions ask again, I've used an A1 for more than twenty years.