Canon AE-1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dana44, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm borrowing my girlfriend Dad's Canon AE-1 this weekend, He let me borrow the 50mm f/1.8, and a 80-200 f/3.4-4.

I know it has a program mode.. I am wondering, I want to be able to shoot controlling the Aperture, but NOT the Shutter speed. Basically, I wanna be in Aperture priority. Is this possible?

Oh, how is this 50mm f/1.8? :tongue:

2. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The AE-1 is just manual and shutter priority. The AE-1 Program also has program mode. Basically you are going to be stuck with manual mode if you want direct control of the aperture.

The 50mm should be just fine.

3. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Damn, That sucks oh well

thanks

4. jnash67

jnash67 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a AE-1p and you just turn the lens off of the "A" mark to whatever aperture, and then leave the dial on "P" and it will automatically set the speed to the aperture. Or you can leave the lens mark on "A", and adjust your shutter speed.
    Have fun,
    Joe

5. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I was thinking that'd work. Wasn't sure though.

Oddly enough, My name is Joe as well XD

6. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Precise control over the lens's aperture from the camera was a main advantage of the FD system at that time. It was the prerequisite for a well functioning auto-exposure function with time priority. Other manufacturers couldn't do it, or they couldn't do it well, because they only had crude levers to stop down the lens, while Canon had a precise aperture lever in each lens that could be controlled by the camera.

Personally I have always preferred time priority. It is an advantage when you shoot free hand, which is what most people do all the time. I think it is a main reason for the success of the AE-1 and AE-1 Program.

7. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I agree with your reasoning. When the AE-1 first came out, I bought one and it created quite a sensation among my friends who only had aperture-priority cameras. Canon also make a lower priced AT-1 and AV-1, with shutter-priority and aperture priority, respectively. But I don't recall the difference now, after all these years, between the AE-1 and the AT-1. All these were later followed with the A-1, which then became my 35mm camera of choice, because it offered all three options: shutter-priority, aperture-priority, and full program modes, in addition to full manual.

They were really nice, reliable cameras.

Pat

8. dana44

dana44 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I can control the Aperture manually, and letter it adjust the shutter accordingly? I only want to control the aperture. that's it.

9. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Before I forget it: That is a really good lens.

10. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The AT-1 was a match needle manual, the A-line "equivalent" of the FTb. It had no automatic function of any kind.

Lee

11. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, yes. You are quite right. I remember now. The only automation was in the AE-1.

12. jnash67

jnash67 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Joe,
    How did it work for you?

13. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have both AE-1 and AE-1 Program cameras, they are my main use cameras for B&W, have been since i bought the first one in 1982, exellent cameras and lenses

anyway, don't forget aperture and shutter are interrelated, if you are wanting a particular aperture just change the shutter speed until the camera suggests that aperture, simple